Chapter 7: First Day PART 1

This Chapter will be in two parts, I want to fit a lot in...

Ruby's P.O.V:

I wake up to my alarm going off. This is it, my first day! I slip on my bikini and pull my shirt over myself. I go downstairs and find some food to eat. I'm really nervous. Troy is going to be with me all week, showing me the ropes. But he's still in bed. I think of the best prank! I grab a bucket and fill it with ice. I then place it next to his bed. Then I grab a balloon and a pin. I blow up the balloon and place it next to his head. I place the pin in the balloon and... BANG! Troy jumps off the other side of the bed like my magic told me and his head fell strait into the bucket of ice. I grab my phone and take a photo.

"You should see your face right now!" I laugh.

"After everything," he smiled and I laughed even more.

------------------

We were soon walking into the tower and being greeted by everyone.

"How are you feeling today?" Whippet askes me.

"Tired," I yawn, everybody laughs.

"You get used to it," Deano smiles, he really is a great friend. Soon everything is open and I'm ready.

"Let's see, where are we today?" I walk into Troy looking at the roster. "Ahh, we're in the tower with Harries until lunch, then we're with Harrison and Dunno at Backpackers.." He smiles. "Oh no! What are we going to do?" He fake complains, still smiling.

"How about, marvel at my beauty?" A voice says behind me. "We'll talk about work later." Yep, that's Harries alright. I giggle and walk up to the top bit. My first day on the job.

-------------------

It's not long until our first incident comes in. It's a warm day today, unlike the usual Winter days. The water, however, was still VERY cold. The radio crackles to life.

"Blue Rhino to Tower," it's Dunstan. I'm the first to pick up a radio.

"Go ahead Dunno," I reply.

"You've got your first hypothermic shock for the day coming up." he says

"Ok, copy that," I finish when a knock on the door makes me jump. Something else I got to get used to, randomly knocking doors.

"Hey Ruby?" Troy says, I reply by looking, I immediately get up and walk over to the fist aid bed. "Your first hypothermic shock, good for you!" He laughs. I punch his shoulder playfully. We haven't talked much about where our relationship is going even though we kissed. I warm him up and advise him to stay out of the water. He soon leaves after. I sit down. If this is what my days going to be like, I didn't sign up for it. Although it isn't, it's better than being Queen. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Harries smiling.

"What's so funny?" I tucked my blond fringe behind my ear.

"Jesse told us what happened the other day." he giggled. JESSE! Seriously?

"You've got to be kidding me!" I whisper, he is going to cop a mouthful off me. Then I see a group of people going under in Backpackers Rip. One of the main rips at Bondi. "Is it just me or are they going under?" I ask knowing my answer.

"Sh*t," Harries shouts, grabbing the attention of Troy. "Gonz, Ruby, get down there!" We get up and run to the buggy, a.k.a. The Blue Rhino. As soon as we get down there, about 6 more people get caught. I grab the radio and start to strip down, Harrison and Whippet are already out there.

"We may need backup down here Harries!" I say, dropping the radio and running strait in. Troy right behind me.

Troy's P.O.V:

I was doing some paperwork when I here Harries shouting.

"Gonz, Ruby, down there NOW!" he commands. I look up to see about 20 people in Backpackers and counting. This was going to be a big rescue. We get down and I strip off I look over to Ruby, who was already fully stripped. She looked so fit, but this wasn't the time to let my guard down. Ruby ran into the water and I ran in too. As we got there Harrison shouted at us.

"Take these two! Hold this one! I'll be back!" He was definitely leading this rescue. There was more than 8 people on my board. I was bound to fall off. Until I here someone shouting behind me. It was Ruby.

"Look out for the wave!" She screamed. I looked behind me to see a huge 12 footer.

"Hold on!" I call to the patients. I brace myself and my patients do too. The wave hits and everyone falls off and I hit my head on the reef below. I rise up to another huge wave. I hit my head on the reef again, then, black.

Harrison's P.O.V:

I went to drop off three off my patients when I hear Ruby scream. "Look out for the wave!" The wave hit him and he fell off. My body tensed and I ran to the buggy.

"Harrison to Tower." I speak into the radio.

"Go ahead Harrison," harries said.

"We may need a First Aid Kit," I say. I am really annoyed with him because he got Ruby, but he IS my coworker, AND a friend.

I was soon brought out of my trance by Ruby pulling him Troy out of the water. What happened to make him become unconscious?  I grab his wrist to find a pulse. "No pulse," I said.

"He's not breathing either!" Ruby said, turning pale and looking nervous. She was clearly worried for the one person here giving her a shelter.

"Don't worry Rubes, we'll get him back." I grab the radio. "We're gonna need the defib down here ASAP." I say into it.

Ruby's P.O.V:

I just sat there, looking at his lifeless body. How could I let this happen. Why couldn't this be me? I snap back to reality and start to do CPR on him. I feel empty inside. Like I lost something. Someone pushed through the crowds but I couldn't see them, I was too into getting Troy back to life. Deano sits down next to me. "If you need to swap out..."

"I'm fine Deano," I mumble, still looking at Troy.

"Defibs ready," Harrison says. The defibrillator starts to work. Giving us commands. It shocks him. For a moment, I feel like it didn't work. His body is in spasm. I feel tears falling from my eyes. Harrison hugs me. I bury my face into his chest and let it out. My sobs are overcome by a choking sound. I look up. It's him! Troy's alive!

"Troy!" I hug him, not wanting to ever let go. The Paramedics, who were there for about two minutes, needed to go. Harrison pulls me off him, (which was quite a struggle if I do say so myself, I got a strong grip XD).

"No!" I scream.

"Please, Ruby get off," Deano joins in, pulling me off him, with tears in his eyes as well. Troy couldn't say a word, he hadn't even opened his eyes. I can't overcome 2 grown mens power, so I just let go and cried into Deano's chest. He strokes my head, looking at Harrison as he does. "Come on," he says to me, "let's get back to the tower." He picks me up, bridal style and I sob into his chest. This is the worst day ever.

Thanks to everyone who voted and commented. It means a lot to me.