Chapter Thirty Six

I wish this isn't true. I wish everything isn't real. That this is not happening...

Just as the saying goes.

Be careful what you wish for 'cause you just might get it.

"Rave!" I screamed as I woke up with a start. I thought I was having nightmares. My body was heavy. It was like I'd been wrestled by a big bear in the woods. I covered my eyes with one good arm of mine, I was blinded by the whiteness of the room. Everything of it. I bolted upright only to be pulled by the dextrose in my arms. I'd been badly bruised I tumbled back to bed and moaned. I might have cracked my hips.

"Are you okay?" A nurse had come to my aid when she saw that I was already awake. I could have screamed at her. Must she ask me that stupid question? I'm on the verge of death, are we talking about the weather here?

"Where's Rave?" I asked frantically. She was shaking her head as if I'm mad. She put out an injection... tranquilizer to be specific. What for? Is she insane?

"Shh.. This will just be a prick and nothing more, like that of a bite of an ant." Hell, yeah. What am I a three-year old toddler? I tried shoving her. I was getting impatient with her.

"Look, you don't understand... I need to see—"

The door opened and there came Riel with the doctor. I breathed a sigh of relief as I saw a familiar face. "Riel..." He strode toward me. There was tenderness and... something quite not there. I didn't know if I'm getting paranoid or what.

"Riel, where's Rave?"

The three exchanged glances. What the hell's happening? I frowned. The doctor shook his head. What did that mean? Was he dead? My breath got hitched. Riel paced back and forth.

"Is he dead?" I barely made out the words.

He strode in front of me. "No." I nodded, I didn't know if I really understood. I was staring at him, questions in my eyes.

"Then what?! Tell me!" I screamed at him. The nurse got hold of me when I tried to sit upright.

"Marie Claire... you've been... here for three full days. Comatose." He said quietly. That long? My mind was wandering.

"Mr. Delos Santos, I advise you to bring her to a psychiatrist. It was an experience she—"

"I don't need a shrink. I'm not getting insane or what. But I'll be if you're not going to tell me where Rave is!" I kept on shouting. They're stupid. Couldn't they just tell me?

He sighed. The doctor nodded gently as if urging Riel to spill it out. What?

"Darling... you've been in a car accident."

"Riel, will you tell me something I don't know? Stop beating around the bush."

He brushed his hair in frustration. "There is no Rave."

I froze in place. What the hell was he talking about? I blinked my eyes thrice not knowing what to say. Am I getting slow? Perhaps because of the medicine they put on me.

"Surely I don't get you."

He nodded his head. "Marie Claire, listen to me..." He turned to face me and gripped my shoulder. It was one of desperation. Like he was holding on to a lifeline. Like he was begging me to open my eyes of the truth. What is the truth then?

"Rave is just.. a figment of your illusion." He whispered. But I heard him, didn't I?

I shook my head in rapid succession. "Surely not... he's been with me on that accident. He told me he loved me. He kissed me Riel... we were going home now there was this..." Riel was now shaking me while I was crying. But there were no tears, really. I was mincing my words.