Chapter 17: A Kennedy Christmas

Christmas 1947

Teddy and Pat were helping Bobby put up ornaments just as Ethel and Jean walked through the Kennedy family's winter home in Palm Beach.

"Come here." Jean said taking Ethel towards the family room. "Hello!"

"Jean! Jeanie!" Everyone called out to her.

Ethel had caught Bobby's eye and smiled shyly and waved at him. His boyish side showed as he did the same in return.

The girls settled down and mingled with everyone.

"Teddy was always the clown in the family. When he was a baby he'd go around making jokes and making people laugh and things like that-" Jean started.

"-Hi." Bobby came up to them and smiled shyly.

"Hi." Ethel smiled back.

"What a surprise, are you ready for a Kennedy Christmas?" Bobby asked.

"Of course she is! She basically forced me to bring her." Jean said.

"Is that true?" Bobby asked, smiling.

"Y-yes." Ethel half spoke and shyly smiled.

Jean put her hands on her shoulders, smiled and walked away saying to herself, "My work here is done."

•••

Kennedy Christmases are filled of many competitive games and silliness.

The teams were split up almost as if it were girls vs boys. Set hut! Joe passed it to Jack. He ran until he found Teddy. Teddy got it and looked for an open; Eunice, Eunice was wide open. He tossed it, Eunice caught if easily and dodged people. She tossed it to Ethel and she ran towards the end line, touchdown! Back around, Back around, break! Now it was Bobby's teams turn with the ball. Bobby loosened his collar on his polo shirt and gets ready. Set hut! Bobby runs toward the end line and bam! Ethelcomes from the side and tackles him before he can catch the ball. They leaned on each other's foreheads and giggled.

Relaxing by the pool was always eventful, weather it was relaxing or not even close. Jean and Bobby were playing with the beach ball then Ethel pushed Bobby in the pool. He splashed her and got Jack, Rose, Joe, Eunice, Pat, and the maid behind Ethel. Ethel went around the pool and Bobby followed. She knelt down in front of Bobby in the pool.

"How did you like that?" She asked.

"That was a good one, but not as great as this!" Bobby took Ethel by the arms and pulled her into the pool.

"You!" Ethel shrieked, she couldn't stop laughing.

The three-legged race, Bobby and Ethel decided to do it together. They took off with the others and they all were neck and neck. Bobby and Ethel sped up and tripped over themselves. They kept laughing and laughing and when the tried to get up Ethel knocked Bobby back down. They looked into each other's eyes and there were sparks flying.

Coming to the end of the day, the two love birds go for a walk on the beach, more like a run. They rested in between to palm trees on the beach and shared their first kiss in the orange setting sun.

•••

January 7, 1948
First Bobby. The second I left I started missing him, and now I am counting the days till spring vacation. I am thrilled of the feeling he might come up to see me first but, I won't count on it much till its true.
-Ethel Skakel

February 22, 1950
I held my breath a little mother because I knew she wanted me to finish school before we got engaged. In fact she was thrilled. And she reminded me that her parents had thought she was too young when she and dad got engaged.
-Robert Kennedy

June 15, 1950
Now that its so close, I'm actually counting down to the hours and minutes. and I am more sure than ever about our happiness, which will last forever.
-Soon Mrs. Robert Kennedy
_______________________
I had to rewrite this last part because it somehow got deleted, I was sooo mad! Well yeah another reference to Robert Kennedy and His Times! It just makes me happy to write this! And I had some help with future scenarios and please please please comment below of what you want to see!