Chapter 2: Diving In

Writer's note: updates will become frequent now I've finished Connections, sorry about the delay!

Please vote, comment and let me know what you think, I have gone straight to the action...literally.

Lifeline is a collaboration story. This chapter runs alongside lacellak 's Lifeline Chapter (following Sebastian Vettel as always). The link for that is in comments.

With limited sleep that night, dragging myself out of bed the following morning wasn't the easiest task. But it meant leaving the house for a few days, and I was all for that.

My alarm sounded and I was up fairly quickly, instinctively not wanting to wake William who was sleeping next door to me.

My bag was already packed, so all I had to do was dress and run the comb through my hair.

And then of course I had to get my shit together- last night's happenings could not influence my work. Not at all. Even if Sam or Simon would try and get everything out of me. Not to mention mischievous Evan, I was surprised that he hadn't already texted me.

Without saying goodbye I locked the front door behind me, it was a good sign that I hadn't even stirred him to bid farewell, right?

Although, admittedly I did make him a cup of coffee and leave it on the side by accident...

---

"Stroud, how are we on this fine, absolutely freezing morning?" Samuel, one of Dan's engineers, ticked my name off on the list and passed the sheet back towards the front as I sat down towards the back of the bus. "I think my bollocks may have actually frozen off."

Sebastian's team were usually located down towards the front of the vehicle, and Dan's to the rear, and being one of the only females, I sat wherever would be the quietest. The guys however were relentless, including Sam.

"And it's nice to see you too." I struggled not to roll my eyes as Sam perched next to me. "I'm glad I don't have that problem."

"Too right you don't. Think yourself as bloody lucky." Immediately Sam pulled out a packet of Minstrels and started eating. It was only six a.m. .

Unfortunately, I zoned out from Sam's sentence as a blonde mop of hair appeared from the aisle. He was sitting further back than what he usually did.

Evan continued walking and Jacob, a technician (both on Seb's car), sat down next to him. The pair began conversing instantly before their voices hushed and Evan turned to me.

Without saying anything he gave me a grin and the thumbs up. Too distracted now by Sam's eating, I returned the gesture and buckled up.

"May I ask what happened with Will last night?" Sam asked as the coach pulled away from the factory.

"Same old, nothing new." I sighed wishing things wouldn't be complicated. But, I was sick and tired of things running the way they had been doing.

"Did you-?" Sam trailed off.

"Nope, haven't in weeks...month or so." I shrugged. I hadn't missed his offerings with that side of things much either. Even then it would be over in ten minutes once he'd satisfied himself.

"Well I know someone who is dying to, so cheer the hell up and help me with these calculations."

---

We'd made it to Bahrain without too much hassle. I'd flown to this destination enough times to know what to expect- blazing sunshine in the desert.