Chapter 24: Planning

(This song is one of my favourites at the moment, definitely listen to it whilst reading)

Enjoy:)

Armed with a new tub of washing powder and a company travel bag I drove over to Daniel's, ensuring I had everything for a week at his place. I felt ever so slightly on edge and was silently praying that my hands would stop shaking. Unfortunately, I didn't think the nerves had anything to do with the trembling.

Daniel's place was a fifteen minute drive from mine, and after he texted me his postcode, I soon found my way to his house. I had been there before when I first landed back in the UK, after spending my time in Switzerland a few weeks ago.

I pulled up on the Australian's drive and cut the engine of my Citroën. Jess' rental vehicle was the only other car on the driveway- Dan's Infiniti was shut up in the garage.

Jumping out I grabbed my holdall out of the boot and remembered the washing powder. Someone had ran out of it by the sounds of things.

A few seconds later I found myself knocking at the front door, tapping my foot on the paving slabs that covered the step. This house was much more modern than mine albeit about the same size- at least it looked it from the outside. If you drove past, you wouldn't guess that it was 'home' to a Formula 1 driver.

"Hey!" The blue door opened to reveal the blonde of Daniel's sister, Jess, beaming. "Come in, Karin- he's literally just got in the bath."

I greeted her back and stepped inside, being hit by the smell of something cooking. Whatever it was smelt good, and it was just another reminder that I hadn't eaten since breakfast at noon.

"How was your evening with Evan yesterday?" she called, opening the door to the kitchen.

"It was good...sorry I didn't get back to you though- my phone decided to die on me."

"Bloody technology, eh!" She laughed and switched the kettle on, choosing to use that over an expensive looking coffee machine, "Mia feels bad for not getting back to you about Dan. He did want to break the news to you himself though."

Then crept in a wave of guilt; I had been having such a good time with Ev that I hadn't worried about my phone in London when it had ran out of charge. And then I had been rather preoccupied with Tully when we had got back to Evan's.

"He hinted at the all clear, I haven't had much time to speak to him alone though..." I sat down on the chair that was offered to me as Jess grabbed two mugs.

"Two secs," she said and jogged out into the hallway to call up the stairs. "Dan, Karin is here...you'd better stop playing with your rubber duck now!"

"I don't have a duck, Karin...just a Lego boat..." Was the response that got shouted back. Immediately I began to laugh.

"Jesus, what is he like?" Jess rolled her eyes and sat opposite me at the table. "Sorry, as you were saying, yes he's been given the all clear. He's just a bit embarrassed to have caused all of this hassle, or so he feels."

"He gave us a scare I think- but he looks a hell of a lot brighter now." I replied, noticing the kettle had boiled. "How do you take your coffee?"

"Black." She smiled, tapping her nails on the table. "You're incredibly brave moving in for a week, all of his dirty habits are going to be revealed now. Good luck."

"I'm sure they aren't that bad." I said, pouring the water into the two cups. Second thoughts, I'd better see if Daniel wanted a cuppa. I was lodging in his house after all.

I then ventured into the hallway to call up the the main bathroom, "Daniel?"

"Yeah-ha?" he responded. I could hear him splashing around in the water. From what I knew Aussies didn't exactly enjoy a bath, but then again he hadn't even been able to shower properly for over a week.