A New Role

My Name is Kate Linforth. I'm a 21 year old actress. How I like to work is simple, but some find it odd and a bit confusing. When I audition for anything I never tell anyone I always like to have to element of surprise on my side, and this way if I don't get it I don't have a million people asking me if I got the part or not. I'm not a total diva when it comes to how I act. I don't like to be treated differently like I'm above everyone else. I don't like to consider myself that big of a deal; I like to keep everything as real as can be. I have a younger sister who is fifteen that lives with me her name is Dany. Our mom isn't really in the picture, and our dad travels for business a lot so Dany stays with me. I have a boyfriend of three years now by the name of Jack Kent who happens to be the lead singer of his band Vison. But I'm sure all these details are boring you all because you are here for a story. And the story starts in February a few days before Valentines day. Dany had left for school and my best friend Amara was helping me go through emails from my agent giving me suggestions for my next movie. Most of them were 'no's and there was the 'maybe, but more than likely no'. We had been at it for nearly two hours and I finally leaned back on the couch and groaned rubbing my eyes. "I don't have enough coffee in me for this!"

Amara laughed as she scrolled down another email on her laptop. "Well it's a good thing we made a pot earlier." She replied.

I opened my eyes and glared at her. "That means I want to stop."

Amara looked over at me and shook her head. "You have to pick one Kate. And if you don't get it done before Dany gets home then you are never going to work again."

I groaned again. I hated it when she was right. "Fine." I huffed.

Amara set her laptop on the coffee table and got up. "I'll go get some coffee."

I smiled big at her. "Thank you! You are the bestest friend in the whole wide world!"

Amara giggled and shrugged. "I know."
As Amara entered the kitchen I clicked on an email not form my agent but form my friend and director Cam Walberg. "Dear Kate, long time no talk. I was wondering if you were in the market for a new film. I've got one I'm starting auditions for in a few weeks. Thing is when I was reading over everything I knew that you would be perfect for that female lead. I've attached some of the script to the email because I know you are curious. If I get your call before auditions then it's yours no questions or strings attached. You still got my number. Call me soon. Cam." I reread the email a few times and bit my lip in thought.

Amara walked back into the room with two mugs. "I know that face. You must have found something good."

I looked up at her. "What? Oh, yeah. It's the first real possibility I've seen all day." I said taking the mug.

"Finally!" Amara yelled plopping down on the couch. "So do we keep looking or do we stop?"

"I'm going to look at a few more from Ricky, then I'll be done. Why don't you find something on TV for us to watch or something?" I suggested.

"Oh wonderful something I know I'm good at." She said making me laugh. Amara closed her laptop and grabbed the remote.
Cam had sent me a few scenes from the beginning and middle of the script, he was smart to leave out anything close to the ending, Cam knew how to get me interested enough to call him. I had to admit that it seemed pretty awesome. Long summary made short it was about a girl who finds out she's a witch and is sent to a hidden school in France for people like her, but she's in denial the whole first half. She meets a wizard who she develops a crush on but he is bad news and a teacher at her school tries to warn her and save her and along the way the two fall in love. Basically forbidden love and a deadly love triangle. I couldn't help but think it was like Harry Potter meets Twilight or something; of course looking back at the thought now I laugh even harder.

Dany came home a few hours later and the three of us had dinner. I made sure Dany had her homework done before she went to bed. Amara hung out for a while more then left. When I was finally alone and knew that Dany was asleep I pulled out my phone scrolled down through my contacts then pressed 'call'.

It rang for a bit then he finally answered. "Hello."

"Hey Cam."

"Hey Kate!" He said obviously very excited to hear from me.

"I was just sitting here wondering a little something. And it just so happens to be a little something you can solve for me." I said and heard him laugh.

"Alright, well I'm all ears."

"I was wondering, is that role still open with out any strings?" after I asked there was a long pause.

"For you Kate darling, anything." Cam finally said making me laugh. "I'm holding auditions for the rest of the cast throughout this month. I can give you the dates of you want to come and be apart of it."

"Cam. You know how I work. You were my first director and since then we've done two other movies; you think you would know by now. This one seems very interesting therefore I don't want to know any of the cast until we meet for our script reading." I explained for what felt like the hundredth time.

I heard Cam let out a huff. "Alright. I'll call you closer to time about meetings and what not. Sound good?" I could tell he was annoyed by me a little but hey I knew I was still his favorite.

"That sounds great Cam." I said not hiding that I was very very very happy that I got the part and that I successfully irritated Cam. "Good night my favorite director friend!"

"Yeah yeah. You know what don't be a pain and make me regret this." He joked and we both laughed. "Night Kate I'll talk to you later." Then there was silence.

I locked my phone and sat there as it slowly started to set in the fact that I had just landed the role. Even though it wasn't hard with Cam something just felt different about this one. I didn't know what but it did and I couldn't wait to get started.
Since it was a school night I knew mine and Dany's usual celebration would have to wait, so I turned on the TV and flipped through the channels until I got to ABCFamily. They were having their Harry Potter marathon and I was just in time for my favorite one, Half-Blood Prince. I couldn't help the nerd like smile that came on to my face the moment I saw Alan Rickman on screen as Professor Snape. In my opinion Alan Rickman is the best way to celebrate anything.
•••••
The next day Dany and I went out to breakfast early before she had to be at school. We went to iHop because that's just where we went to celebrate everything. When we were seated Dany looked at me and asked, "So what's the good news?"

I laughed and replied, "I landed a new role." Dany let out a little squeal.

She tucked her black hair behind her ear. "So details. Who will you be working with? What's the story line like? Will you be traveling? What's your character like? Good guy? Bad guy? Give me something here?" Throughout breakfast I explained everything I knew. I wasn't sure if I'd be traveling but since some of it took place in France I assumed I'd be traveling some and that's what I told her. "So the love interest, any idea who will be playing them?" Dany asked.

"I have no clue. And I honestly don't want to know. I trust Cam will make an amazing decision without me breathing down his neck." I said making us both laugh.

"Well I expect to hear every little detail that you find out. And just so you know I'm going to start stalking all the sites that like to talk about you and Cam." Dany said finishing her waffle.

"I would expect nothing else from you." I replied laughing.

A/N: For readers of my other stories don't worry I haven't given up on me its just taking awhile to get inspired for them. but anyway I hope you enjoyed the first chapter.