Priyamvada looked at Rajeshwari, and acidly said, "You repaid everything I did for you by standing by and watching her insult me repeatedly. Only because I stopped you from committing an unspeakable mistake that could have ruined lives. But what else can be expected from you? For your selfish purposes, you befriended the girl who hurt your brother...the brother who loves you and considers you to be the most naïve and childlike woman in the world. You believe Nandini is your friend or protector. She's neither of those things. She's using you, just as you planned to use her. Now that I think of it, I think this association can go far...as you have two things in common with her – an innocent face and an immoral, cunning mind."

"I'm leaving now," Priyamvada continued rigidly. "Because I cannot tolerate either of your faces anymore. Rajeshwari, I hope you have the good sense to stay out of my sight for a long time. If you wish to meet me again, you will have to be prepared to give me the promises I've demanded. And yes, if you flout my orders, the first thing I will do is to inform Prithvi of the...virtuous plans that brought you to Shamli. Is that clear?" she asked acerbically.

"No, Bua," Rajeshwari cried out. "No, please, you mustn't."

The heartfelt cry broke Nandini's reverie.

"I don't want to...because I don't wish to hurt my son by revealing your true nature to him," Priyamvada said cuttingly. "But I will not wait for long."

Her frosty eyes shifted to Nandini. "And you, Miss Nandini Bharadwaj," she said affably. "Pay a visit to your family shrine on the way back, and thank the lord for your insignificance in the lives of my son and myself. But also pray for a little common sense to avoid coming in my way in the future. It was your good fortune that you escaped an unpleasant fate last time. Don't strain your luck again," she forewarned mildly.

Priyamvada glanced disparagingly at Rajeshwari, and then began to walk to the doors.

"You're wrong."

Priyamvada halted, and turned to look guardedly at Nandini's profile. "Excuse me?"

Nandini turned towards her...an inferno of hate, anger and pain in her gaze.

"I'm not the one who escaped. You are," she said quietly.

Priyamvada looked at her derisively, then walked elegantly towards the doors with a heart that was chilled with fear.

***********************************

Disha stared fearfully at the doors of the banquet hall. She was desperate for them to open to put an end to her tension, but she was also terrified of finding out what had happened.

Nandini's ferocious reaction to the mention of the queen had given a dramatic new twist to the tale but it was definite that she would be the first person to come out of the room...probably in tears, Disha imagined wretchedly. No matter how aggressive or courageous Nandini was...the queen was in a different league altogether.

The bodyguards were stoical as usual, but she was sure they were going insane with anxiety. The queen would take them to task later for permitting Nandini to enter the room.

Yet, they were not in as much trouble as she was.

Disha reflected bitterly that she had made one senseless decision after another since last week. She should have informed Sumer Singh immediately when the princess, who had been unusually happy and excited over the last ten days, had shared her foolish and dangerous plans. But the desire to hold on to this extremely well-paying job had forced her to stay quiet about the princess's actions. And the need to fulfil her foremost duty – that of keeping the princess safe at all times – had impelled her to drag an innocent outsider like Nandini into this mess.