one!

(  running away  )

running away )

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄♔⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

          "HEY, SARAH?"

Lucy's voice was little more than a whisper, the question hanging in midair. Sarah murmured in response, neither one of their five a.m. brains quite ready to compute a conversation.

          "D'you ever think about running away?" The other girl rolled over onto her side, facing Lucy, propping her head up on her hand, supporting herself on one tanned elbow. The hum of the air conditioner kept them company, the moonlight filtering in through the windows to cast shadows on their faces. Lucy had always thought five a.m. was the ideal time for sharing secrets.

          "You only just got back," Sarah said, distinctly more awake, "And you already wanna go?" Lucy shrugged, letting her body fall back onto the pillows they had piled up high around them.

          "I don't know." She exhaled, almost a sigh, but not quite. "I think about it sometimes, though. What it'd be like without all this." Lucy lifted a hand from her chest and waved it in the air, a broad gesture to all that she and Sarah had. Everyone always said they were lucky. Lucy didn't know if she agreed with that.

         "Without the bubblewrap?"

          "Yeah."

          "Where would you go?" Sarah's voice had an excitement to it, the same kind they'd always shared as children, when they'd tell each other ghost stories under the light of the stars, or when they'd chase butterflies around the Tannyhill garden for hours on end.

          "That's the fun part," Lucy said with a laugh, and Sarah smiled that big, wide smile of hers, "I could go anywhere. We could go anywhere."

          "Anywhere?"

          "Anywhere."

Their words, loud in the silence of the room, were a sort of whispered promise.

Lucy rolled back over, facing Sarah once again. Sarah's eyes were open wide, a silent question. Lucy knew that Sarah was all too familiar with the reasons Lucy wanted to run away. Lucy also knew that Sarah was just as aware that running away could never have been a possibility for either of them.

Kook royalty.

          "I couldn't do it," Sarah spoke up again, "I love it here too much." Lucy smiled sadly. She had always loved it too.

          "Paradise on earth," Lucy said, and Sarah nodded, a smile on her lips, "Why?" Sarah shrugged.

          "Why do I love it?" Lucy nodded. "Oh, you know," she answered, "The crushing weight of my family name, the easy access to alcohol—" Lucy cut her off, raising a hand and hitting her on the stomach. "Ow!" She could tell Sarah wasn't really hurt. If anything, she was laughing more. "You bitch." Lucy gasped in fake hurt.