Chapter 7

For the first time in weeks, I actually had a free day. Collin was away for a whole week, Scott had some school work to catch up on, Lauren had to visit her parents on the other side of town, and I had absolutely nothing to do. I was really bored, which was very rare. It made me happy to think that I actually had some time to myself. But it wasn’t really all that great because I couldn’t stop thinking about yesterday, the day I met Elizabeth Delatorre, Collin’s mom. I mean, she’s pretty nice and I’m a liar. I felt so bad it was almost unbearable. I still didn’t meet the famous William Delatorre, yet, thank God. I somehow felt that meeting his dad would be a bit different than meeting his mom. I should really stop thinking about it, and just let the pieces fall where they may. I’ll figure something out when the time comes.

I sighed and ducked my head, blocking my face from the pouring rain with the hood of my slate gray jacket. I zipped it halfway, digging my hands into the pockets. Yeah, I had decided to go to the hospital on a dreary day such as this one. It’s been a good few weeks since I’ve seen my brother, and this was the perfect time to visit. I would’ve already been there if a taxi driver had the decency to pull over and help a drenched girl out. After about six failed attempts at getting a taxi, I gave up and went with walking, since I was already soaked. It wouldn’t really make a difference, now.

I strode down the sidewalk, finally spotting the giant hospital around the corner. I was suddenly excited, picking up pace. I couldn’t wait to see the little guy. You see, I’m normally a grouchy, occasionally rude person, but when it comes to kids, that all goes away. I swear, some people say I turn into a completely different person. I always deny it, of course. I just can’t seem to understand where they were coming from.

I was speed-walking now as I entered the building, heading straight for the front desk. Fortunately, it was Meredith there, so she would know why I’m there. She smiled at me and was about to hand me a form. I shook my head at her. “No, I’m here to see my brother this time,” I said, letting out a little laugh. It’s funny how she would always immediately hand me a form, assuming that I had gotten into some trouble again.

She looked at me, frowning. “Oh, sweetie, Aiden was released home a while ago,” she informed me, giving me a confused look.

I stared at Meredith, wondering what that meant. How could he have gone home? Where was home? Something was happening with my chest. It was tightening. I felt a cold flash run through me, and it felt a lot like panic and worry. “What? What do you mean he was sent home? Where is that, exactly?” My voice got higher with every question I asked. I honestly had no clue as to who my brother would go home with. I was freaking out.

Her frown deepened. “I thought you knew. It was an older woman who came to get him. The strong, little thing finally woke up, bless his heart.”

An older woman? Who the hell could that be? Wait…did she just say…Aiden was awake? “He’s…awake?” I whispered, more to myself than Meredith. It’s been two years; two painstakingly long years since I’ve seen the happy, green eyes of my little brother. And I think I know who might have taken him “home.” It was the one other person who was always and forever on my side, no matter what. It was the one person I’ve looked up to for over five years. But I didn’t think—I thought she wouldn’t come.

I sprinted back through the entrance of the hospital, too quickly to even throw Meredith a hurried goodbye. I still remembered where to go; it’s only been two years, after all. I never thought she would come and take him. Oh, who am I kidding? The woman was probably waiting for this very day. She was never one to give up hope for anything. She never stopped believing in something when she already put her faith in it. And for that, I respected her. She was my role model, my second mother. She was the one person I could completely and utterly trust.