Chapter 23 - The Doctor

Start from the beginning

He looked at the arms and turned them around in his hand. "Ok. I should be able to make this work. I'll have to operate on the girl, which should take an hour or two. But when it's all done, she should be able to use the arms as her own." 

"Really!" Seryu said, stepping forward. 

"Yes. You should be able to. Although, you might have to take some time to get used to your artificial arms before you're able to use them to their full potential." The doctor explained. 

"I see... That's a relief..." She said, sounding quite happy about it. 

The doctor nodded a bit, "Ok. Why don't you three stand outside so that I can operate?" He asked. 

"Can you operate here?" I asked. 

"Yes. I can. Luckily, I brought all of my equipment." The doctor began to set up, grabbing items out of a large bag that he had kept in the room. 

"Great. We'll stand outside then." I said, moving out of the room. Tatsumi and Mine followed through. 

And thus, the doctor and Seryu were left alone. 

"Alright, Seryu. Please take a seat on this chair. I tried making it as comfortable as I could." The doctor said, gesturing over to it. 

"Oh, right," Seryu said. She climbed up onto the makeshift operation chair as the doctor softly set up his equipment. 

The room was quiet now as the doctor got ready. "I'm surprised someone like you decided to join Night Raid." The doctor said. "If the reports I read are to be believed, then that group has done several jobs involving those close to you..." 

"Ah... yes..." Seryu said, recalling everything that had happened in her life. "Both my father and mentor were killed by them. And... I still don't know why, or who exactly did it. But this whole experience with them has made me reconsider which side is truly just." 

"That's good." The doctor said. "Night Raid... They're good people. They want to make the world a better place." 

"I see... Yes, I too, want that." Seryu gave a gentle smile as she lay down on the chair, ready for the doctor to operate on her. 

***

"Hey, Tatsumi. What do you intend to do about Seryu?" Mine asked. "You were the one who killed Captain Ogre." 

"Captain Ogre?" I asked. "Who's that?" 

"He's someone pertaining to a mission that we did a week or so before you joined us. He was... supposedly, Seryu's Mentor. And Tatsumi was the one that killed him."

"That's right..." Tatsumi said. "I'm not sure what I'll tell her... But I do eventually need to talk with her about it." 

Mine sighed, "Well, that's fine. Just as long as you eventually talk to her about it... Having an enemy in our team has made our situation awkward." She scratched her head a bit, "What do we do now?" 

"Well... I think we should be free to do what we want for now. I don't think Najenda gave us any more assignments." Tatsumi said. 

"Wait, shouldn't we leave someone to guard to doctor?" I asked. 

Mine turned to me, "I thought about that too. But from an enemy's perspective, wouldn't it look more suspicious if a bunch of hooded figures were all gathered around some decrepit building like this?" 

"Oh. I didn't think about that." I said. "I wouldn't want to wait inside and disturb the doctor." 

"Right. So how about this:" Mine said, "We'll have one person watching the building from afar, and the other two will just... do what they want." 

"That sounds good. Who's gonna watch first?" I asked. 

"Tatsumi. You do it." Mine said suddenly. 

"What?!? Why me!" He said back. 

"Because you're the newbie." She said, turning away. 

"B-But isn't (f/n) more of a newbie than me!" He shouted. "I think you're playing favorites!" 

"Wha-!" Mine blushed a bit and tensed up, "S-Shut it! Just take the post!" 

"Why?!? Maybe I want to mess around in the city!" Tatsumi said, not wanting to budge against Mine. 

In response, she took in a deep breath and let out a deeper sigh. She shuffled over towards Tatsumi and looked up to him, reaching out and grabbing his shirt collar a bit, "Listen here, Tatsumi. I'm only going to tell this to you once, so listen close. I'm trying to have a d-date with (f/n). So, just this once, would you let me have this?" 

Tatsumi was caught off guard by her more genuine request and blinked a few times before coming to his senses. He whispered, "O-Oh... So that's what this is about. I mean, I think there are better times to have a date if that's what you're going for. You might only have an hour or two before Seryu's operation is done."

"Whatever. None of your business. Now would you take the post?" She asked, still blushing. 

"S-Sure. Of course." Tatsumi said. "Yeah, I'll take the post." He said, loud enough for me to hear. 

"Thanks, Tatsumi," I said. 

"Y-Yeah. Of course." He said back.