Chapter Fifteen: Maxon

Crown on my head and sitting on my throne, I watch with a serious expression on my face as Marlee and Carter get led into the throne room. The guard leads them down the blue carpet and stops right in front of me. He quickly bows, before stepping aside leaving Marlee and Carter facing the thrones.

Marlee sinks into a curtsy as Carter quickly dips his head. “Your Majesty.”

“Carter and Marlee Woodwork,” I begin with a smile. “In light of your service to the crown, I, your king, am taking the liberty of undoing past punishments inflicted upon you.”

Marlee and Carter exchange glances, confused.

“Of course, your physical punishment cannot be changed, but other stipulations may. Am I correct that you were both sentenced to be Eights?” I ask.

“Yes, Your Majesty,” Carter says.

I swallow. “Is it also true that you, Mrs. Woodwork, served a former Selected and Elite, the late Lady America Singer, when she was physically unwell?”

Marlee looks like she’s about to cry as she slowly nods. “Y-Yes, Your Majesty.”

“Is it also true that you, Mr. Woodwork, have loved and cherished Mrs. Woodwork, a former Elite, and therefore precious Daughter of Illea, giving her the best she can possibly have under your circumstances?”

Carter looks down at Marlee as she wipes away tears. “Yes, Your Majesty!” she calls for him.

“In accordance with your service, I, King Maxon Schreave, am relieving you of your caste assignments. You are no longer Eights. Carter and Marlee Woodwork, you are the first citizens of Illea to be casteless.”

Marlee squints at me. “Casteless, Your Majesty?”

“Correct. You are now at liberty to make two choices,” I say, holding back a smile. “First, you must decide whether you would like to continue to call the palace your home. Second, you can tell me what profession you would like to have. Whatever you decide, I will happily provide you with lodging and assistance. But, even after that, you will still have no caste. You will simply be yourselves.”

Marlee and Carter turn to each other and whisper to each other. After a moment Carter draws himself up to look at me. “Your Majesty, my wife and I would be happy to stay in your home and serve you. I can’t speak for her, but I love my position as a groundskeeper. I’m happy to work outside, and I would do that for as long as I’m able. If the head position ever opens, I’d like to be considered for it, but I’m otherwise content.”

I nod. “Very well. And Mrs. Woodwork?”

“I’ll have whatever job you can give me, Your Majesty,” Marlee answers. “I would be honored to be a royal attendant, if possible.”

I nod, and smile, before turning to my advisors sitting in a corner. “Let it be recorded that Carter and Marlee Woodwork have been forgiven of their past crimes and now live under the protection of the palace. Let it further say that they have no caste and are above any such segregation.”

“So recorded!”

I stand from my throne, taking my crown off as I make my way towards them. I give Carter a firm handshake. “Are you sure about groundskeeping? You could go back to guarding or even be an advisor if you’d like.”

“I’m sure. I’ve never had a head for that kind of thing. I was always good with my hands, and that kind of work makes me happy.”

“All right,” I say. “If you change your mind, let me know.”

Carter nods, wrapping an arm around Marlee, who has tears in her eyes.

“Maxon… I’m so sorry about America and your parents,” she whispers.

I feel my guard go up as I school my expression and nod. “Thank you, Marlee. I’m sure America would’ve been overjoyed to see this.”

She nods, tears still in her eyes.

“Are you sure about your job, Marlee?” I ask after a moment. “Since it’s just me, there isn’t a lot to attend to.”

“Maxon, I’ll do anything from helping you organize events to even being Kriss’ maid if it comes to it,” she answers, wincing. “Any way I can help, I will. Just let me know.”

“Thank you, Marlee,” I reply. “I’ll keep that in mind.”

“Thank you for all of this,” she answers, looking up at Carter who nods. “I don’t think we can’t thank you enough.”

I give them another sad smile. “It was my pleasure.”