chapter forty two | party crashers

Começar do início

Tori started to play with my hair. "I know that a lot of the time, Lys and I act like we're your parents and not your siblings, but I at least want you to have fun. You should go do that, have fun. I already talked with Dr. Maxwell."

I pulled on the collar of my hospital gown. "Well, it's not like I have anything to wear."

My sister smirked. "Well, Vera, I already got that covered."

I HAVE ALREADY concluded - there were way too many people here for my liking.

I weaved through the sea of people in the venue, trying to search for the birthday boy. My hand kept touching the pocket of the sweater I insisted on wearing, despite Victoria's remarks against it. I wasn't fully wearing it, the sleeves only going up to my elbows. I just needed something else to feel like I was wearing something.

The lights were dimmed, the music loud. I didn't have a headache yet, but it probably won't be long before one hits. Did people really enjoy these things? Did Atticus, who enjoyed taking about books with Leo and Lysander, also really enjoy these parties? It seemed like he did.

No one spotted me yet, I'm just another person in the crowd. I, miraculously, have yet to trip or step on someone's foot with Tori's black high heeled boots. At least they were comfortable and my ankles weren't already aching. I could last an hour in these, right?

And then I see him, against one of the sides of the room. A table was set up with blue and red cuts on either side of it. Att, Mikayla and Jason were on one side of the table, Avery, Anne and a boy I didn't recognize on the other.

Atticus threw two ping pong balls at the cup set up, landing both. He went for a round of high fives as the two guys at the end of the table picked up the glasses and began to drink. It was then that Att looked up, spotting me across the room.

He pushed past Jason and Mikayla, who also turned around to see where the birthday boy was going. Mikayla's expression turned to disgust as she saw me. Jason looked pleased to find out I showed up.

"You made it!" Atticus explained, pulling me into a hug. He pressed a gentle kiss on my forehead and I was able to smell a hint of alcohol in his breath. "I just asked Tori if you were okay, you didn't have to come if you didn't feel okay but gosh, I'm so glad you're here-" He looks down at my outfit, and it doesn't feel like he'll look back up for a while.

"Att, my face is up here," I said, tilting his head up. His hands slide to my waist. "How many drinks have you had tonight?"

"You look... wow. I didn't think you owned dresses, Vera Carmicheal. Or boots that go halfway up your legs. Or hoop earings, if I'm being honest."

I laugh, biting my lip. "It's all Tori's. She didn't really give me the option to wear sweats to a party."

He takes one hand off me, pulling out his phone. "Speaking of your sister... just dropped Vera off, hope you find her. Let me know if anything bad happens, will pick her up in ninety. Don't let her drink. You too, don't drink too much. Love you, happy eighteenth." He pockets his phone. "To answer your question, I've only had half a glass of beer, if that makes you happy. We're playing beer pong but only two out of ten glasses are alcohol, the other eight are weird combinations of other soft drinks."

"Hey, Att!" Avery calls out. The two of us turn around. "If you're done snogging your girlfriend, it's your turn again, dude."

He turned back around. "You have good aim, right? Wanna go for me?"

"I'm not drinking any combination of drinks you've created," I said. "Unless you want me to go home ten minutes after I've arrived."

He laughs and grabs my hand, pulling me towards the table.