Chapter 4: The First Heist

(This chapter is gonna be way too long oh Jesus)

"Snap? Why snap?"

(Y/n) watched as Joker managed to look even more confused than before. Maybe coming up with her own codename was a bit more stupid than she thought. She didn't want her name on a criminal record, though! And on the off chance that someone with her name and appearance existed in this world, she didn't want to be responsible for sending them to jail. The more she thought about it though, she didn't really need a code name, did she? Technically, she was untraceable. There was no proof or record of her existence prior to today. She felt like an idiot. So much for having a cool phantom thief name...
"Uhh, it's...um, an upgrade from 'weird photos girl'?" Nice save.
Joker seemed to buy it, because he nodded sagely in response.
"That makes sense, but it's a pretty cool name, so you should save it for your phantom thief debut, okay, (Y/n)?" She gave him a small salute.
"Rodger dodger sir."

GROWL

Silence. Everyone stared at the man whose stomach had suddenly decided to do a stunningly accurate impression of a whale. Joker placed his hands on his stomach and laughed sheepishly.
"Hehehe.....Well, with all the excitement that happened tonight, we completely forgot dinner, huh? Hachiiiiiii!" Hachi was used to those glittering eyes. He already knew what the teen wanted. He sighed in defeat before returning the first aid kit to its assigned cabinet and turning towards (Y/n).
"Could you set the table while I get the ingredients out? I'll have you cut vegetables afterwards."
"Sounds like a plan!"
Joker went to go laze around while the two apprentice phantom thieves got to work.

- - -
(Y/n), as it turns out, was an amazing sous chef. She carefully followed directions, and always completed the tasks given to her quickly and efficiently. Hachi could not be more thankful for her company.
Thank goodness he hadn't let Mr. Joker throw her overboard! Goodness knows how much of a disaster that would be... He snuck a glance over at the girl, who was currently measuring water to put into the rice cooker. She really was pretty. (Y/n) turned around and their eyes met for only a moment before Hachi quickly snapped his head back towards the curry, heart racing. 'She saw me! She totally saw me! Aaahhh...I'm such a moron! Don't think about it right now, Hachi! Later!' He quickly shook his head and slapped his cheeks a few times, before cooking with more fury than ever before. (Y/n) was just horribly confused.

- - -
"Joker! Food's ready!"
Hachi called down the hall towards what (Y/n) could only assume was Joker's room. They heard some disoriented mumbling, and something that sounded vaguely like a noise of confirmation, so they just looked at each other, shrugged, and sat down at the table. Joker came in a minute later, looking like he just rolled out of bed, which he probably did. He immediately perked up upon seeing the plate of curry on the table.
"Geez, I was beginning to think you just fell asleep, J."
"And miss out on Hachi's curry? Never in a million years! If that ever happens, know that I have been abducted by aliens and replaced with a fake." His tone was so serious, it was almost hilarious. (Y/n) hid her smile by taking another bite of curry.
"I gotta say, though," she gestured with her spoon as she spoke, "I always wondered how good Hachi's curry was ever since I first watched the show. I am happy to report that it does in fact live up to the rumors." She took another bite as Hachi swelled with pride, blushing at the high praise. Joker looked over at her with a proud grin of his own as he replied,
"Well, duh. Hachi makes the best curry I have ever eaten! And I've eaten a lot of curry."
"I'm sure you have."
"Hey! What's that supposed to mean?!"

The meal went by quickly after that, with light banter carrying through the whole time. Eventually, Hachi was stacking empty plates and shooing Joker and (Y/n) away from the kitchen.
"I'll take care of cleanup tonight, you two both need sleep. Especially you, Mr. Joker! I know you barely slept before this heist, and you sent out another calling card for Mr. Kaneari's cruise ship for tomorrow night! If you account for the difference in time zones, if you go to sleep right now, you'll be able to have eight hours of sleep and still one hour left for prep!"
"Geez, you always nag me like you're my mom or something..." Joker pouted, but did as he was told. (Y/n) tilted her head, trying hard to remember something.
'Mr. Kaneari's cruise ship....? That seems familiar....but what was important about it? Cruise ship....Cruise ship....'