Wander

"Sis," a young boy with antlers and a small tail calls his sister. The boy is no older than thirteen and is neither fully deer nor human, they aren't fauns, nor are they cervines. Their outer appearance is more human, other than their ears which are of a deer, and a tail. As for the boy, he has antlers growing on his head, though his right antler had broken up in half, his other antler still stood tall. His sister is eighteen years old and six inches taller than her brother. Both of them have brown hair and warm clothes, enough to protect them from the cold. For days, they had been walking aimlessly within this unfamiliar wilderness. The boy was about to go insane by the silence. "Where are we going?"

"You'll know when we get there." His sister answers, not turning back to look at her brother as they walk deeper into the forest.

She told him this for the thirty-ninth time and he also asked her the question for the thirty-ninth time ever since they wandered away.

The boy bumped into his sister, while she looked up into the sky. It usually tells her the time, but it's not very precise most of the time.

"Let's take a break," The boy's sister leads him out of the way to an area where there was a mossy log on the ground. "Doris, wait here alright?"

"ok..." Doris sits on the fallen tree trunk as he watches his sister search for something to eat.

Doris is getting very tired of this, his sister and he continue to do the same, which is driving him crazy! Ever since they ran away they had this routine where they would stop a few times to eat, continue walking, look for somewhere to rest when it gets dark, then rinse and repeat. He wanted to at least be useful and help his sister out, like hunting or scouting ahead of her, but she would constantly stop him. One additional fact that makes this so annoying is that he knows for sure that his sister doesn't. even. know. where they're even going.

"I'm back," his sister handed out about eight berries to her brother's hand. "I'm sorry that it's only a few, but it's the best of what I was able to get."

"Flora, are you going to eat anything?" He glanced, concerned, at his sister's empty hand.

"It's alright," Flora reassured him. "You're still growing up, you should eat more than me."

Doris shook his head at his sister's excuses. Both of us are in this together. Why couldn't she notice that?

He lent half of the berries to his sister's hand. "Sis, you have to eat, you should take care of your health also, you know."

"T-thank you." Flora thanked him.

They quietly ate their food, silence enveloping them as they ate.

"I'm sorry brother..." Flora apologizes, breaking the silence between them.

"Huh? What are you talking about?"

"I'm sorry that I wasn't strong enough," slowly her eyes started to cloud up with tears. "It was my job to defend."

"Sis, it isn't your fault-"

"IT IS!" she yells, sniffing afterwards. "If I was stronger, the people I swore my life to protect wouldn't have died!"

This is the first time Doris ever saw his sister act like this. She was always the polar opposite of him, she was kind, caring, and sweet around others. Him on the other hand? He was awful, foolish, a loner, and overall, a rebel.

When he was a child his sister was always there, though he constantly pushed her away. Not wanting her to accompany him.

Yet, now it's his sister crying.

Doris had no idea what to do.

He never knew how to calm anyone down before. He had never had anyone to encourage growing up, no friends nor strangers. He never really cared for such a trivial thing.