Chapter 2: The Secret

Barb's POV

It was my birthday, alright. 24 already. It was fine, I was used to this. I mostly just asked to do a concert for everyone so I could whip out my new rock jam for them. I loved it every year, and hopefully Poppy feels the same.

Yep, I had invited her, and yeah, I know she's a Pop Troll, but, hey, we're cool, we're besties. I know she'd like it, I mean what doesn't she like?

I finished tuning up my guitar and headed out of my room, where my dad, Riff, Carol, and Sid Fret were waiting.

"How's my little girl today?" Dad asked, softly.

"I'm good, Dad," I told him, "just getting ready for my big rock concert tonight. Everybody's gonna be there."

"Even your little Pop Troll friend?" Carol asked, curious.

That last word sent a chill up my spine.

"Uh, heh, heh,...who?" I asked trying to hide the nerves.

"We know you invited Poppy," Sid Fret said, annoyingly, "we saw Debbie flying back from her house."

"Alright, fine I did. But it's fine, we're friends. Plus, she's a nice person, what do I gotta worry about?"

"Her not liking your music...or something?" Riff asked, nervously.

"Whatever, I better go see if she's here. Probably is, knowing her," I said, walking off.

My friends here were used to me and Poppy hanging out together. Ever since my World Tour, we had hung out a lot. We were best friends now, and it was nice. Except for the one, irritating fact that had been growing more prevalent to me that I couldn't tell my Rock friends. It's that I had a secret crush on Queen Poppy.

It had been driving me crazy for months, everywhere I went, I thought of her, and I wanted nothing more than to spend my whole life with her. But she was with Branch now, and I couldn't risk telling Poppy and making both our lives worse if it didn't work out.

I was just gonna have to suck it up and focus, which was hard as I saw her fast approaching.

Oh, son of a biscuit! I thought as I ran over to the flyers' lot. It took me a minute or two to get there, and coincidentally, I arrived just as she landed.

Alright, I thought to myself, just keep calm, say hi, and act normal.

"Sup, Popsqueak?" I said as she got off.

Poppy turned to me, clad in her Rocker gear, with a big smile on her face.

"Hey, Barb!" she said, running over and hugging me tight. It made my heart skip a beat for a moment.

"Happy Birthday!" she said, pulling back a moment.

"Thanks," I told her, "you look nice."

"Well, I thought I should dress well for the occasion."

"Alright, well, the concert's at the Volcano Stadium, and here's your VIP pass," I said, handing her a small card with VIP stamped on it, "gets you all the good stuff."

"Thanks! Oh, before I go, I made you something for the concert," she said, pulling out something small from her side pocket and handing it to me.

I took it. It was a guitar pick with a photo of both of us on it on one side, while the other side had the words Poppy and Barb: Besties 4 Life. I was overwhelmed, it was small, yet it felt like everything. I felt my heart racing, moving to my throat, and all the while my feelings for Poppy started surfacing, surrounding my head until...

"Barb? Barb?" Poppy said, snapping me out of it.

"Huh," I said, momentarily disoriented, "oh, sorry. It's just that this is amazing, where did you get this?"

"Made it myself, thought it would be great for the concert tonight."

"It's perfect! Thank you!" I said, blushing a little.

"Uh, Barb, you okay?" she said, concerned a little.

"Huh, oh, I'm fine. Just kinda get nervous before these things."

"You'll be great," she said, "Anyway, I better head over there, see you on stage!"

"You too!" I said as she boarded the bus to the stadium. I watched as she headed off to the concert, still thinking about that feeling, wondering if I would the chance or even the courage to tell her.