Chapter 6: A Father's Reason and A Goddess's Given Nightmare

Kazune had a wrenching feeling in his gut as he purposely climbed up the stairs to his son's room. Usually, he never bothered to come to Kazuto's room ever since he turned twelve, but something about tonight just bothered him to no end. He hesitated when he reached the door.

What if he was just worrying for no reason? He shrugged and opened the door. He peeked through the dark room and spotted the bed. He stayed silent for a full five seconds before he frowned.

"I thought so." He said out loud. He closed the door and began walking back down the steps, pretending that he didn't see anything with an unhappy smile.

When he reached the bottom of the steps, his wife, Midori, who was waiting for him, crossed her thin arms and raised an eyebrow.

"What's with that smile on your face?" she asked suspiciously. Kazune widened his empty smile.

"Hm? What smile?" he asked back. Midori shook her head and began walking down the hall to their shared chambers.

"Sometimes, I question your sanity..."

._._._._._.

Kazuto heaved a sigh as he felt an oncoming headache. He was sitting in the back of the castle library with his head resting on his crossed arms as he waited for his father to give him his early morning class about politics and things he could care less about. The sunlight in the room seemed brighter than usual, and strangely, he tripped twice on his way to the library. After the eventful night he had, Agil made him sit and listen to him scold him about having fights outside his bar (not good for business, according to him...). It wasn't odd for Agil to scold him. It was, strangely, a habit for "Kirito" to break a rule or two each time he came down to town.

Surely, he could be just really tired for today...

"Kazuto!"

The tired Prince practically straightened up at the sound of his father's stern voice, now fully awake. The King stood in front of his desk with a slight frown as his son smiled sheepishly at him.

"Good morning, Father! How are you this fine morning?" Kazuto greeted with a small wave. The King blinked.

"...You're awfully chipper this morning considering what you did last night." he said as he placed his hands behind his back.

"Eh...?" Kazuto stared tiredly at his father in confusion. What was his father talking about? He didn't do anything last night...if his father meant in the castle, that is. "Father, what do you mean?"

The King smiled knowingly, quickly ringing a bell in Kazuto's head. He sat up straighter and slowly began to wake a little. Whenever he saw his father wear that smile, anyone could immediately know that he just found out the most valuable information in the world. And to Kazuto, that never ended well for him. Never.

"Well, you see, Kazuto, I'm afraid we'll have to postpone your normal political lesson for a later date. For you see...I have something more important to discuss with you. Something you might find interesting this time." said the King with that smile still stuck on his face. But, Kazuto could plainly see that his father was not happy. He forced a look of curiosity and folded his hand underneath his desk.

"Interesting, Father?" he asked. The King nodded. He placed a single hand on top of Kazuto's desk and asked him a simple question. Well, as simple as he could at the moment.

"Yes, now...Where were you last night?" came his father's awfully blunt question. Kazuto completely lost his composure, stumped on how blunt his father can be and struggled to come up with a good, plausible, excusable excuse.