She won. Katherine won. More then once today.

Chapter 16

Elena's POV

"hello?" I answered the phone.

"hello, Elena." Katherine answered I looked at Ric and Madi with pure fear and walked away but Madi followed and was at my side looking at me worried and silently asked who it was.

"Katherine." I answered to both Madi and Katherine, Madi suddenly mirrored my fearful facial expression.

"did you enjoy your little rendezvous with Stefan this morning? I will always know, Elena. I will always be one step ahead of you. When are you gonna figure that out? Madi has, but then again she's smart enough to listen to me. She's probably already told you about my threats to hurt poor little Damon if she gets involved with him, you know because you two are all sister forever blah, blah, blah, but don't forget Elena I will always be her first chose, I raised her, I'm practically her mother. Hmm anyway. Do you know how easy it was to get inside your house? To replace Aunt Jenna's vervain perfume? To convince her to stop drinking her special tea?" Katherine told me and I looked over to Jenna for a seconded but Ric caught my attention and silently asked what's happening, I held up my hand and then just one finger gesturing for him to give me a minute as I turned back around.

"no."

"Jenna's been my little spy for days now. But unlike you, Jenna actually listens to me. So when I suggested the world would be a much better place if she were to just...."

"Jenna, No!" Madi yelled from beside me and Ric and I turned just in time to see Jenna, with a knife in her hand, stab herself in the stomach.

"Jenna! Oh. Jenna." Ric called as we all ran over to her and tried to do something.

Madi's POV

Jeremy and I were in the waiting room, he beginning to get impatient waiting to hear what was happening, I just kept telling him that 'no news is good news at the moment', 'as soon as they know we will know' and 'everything's going to be okay. I promise.' but when I said the last one I don't know who I was thinking to convince him or me because that was the same thing Elena had said to me and right now nothing felt like it was gonna be okay. As I glanced up Elena came out of the emergency room and into the waiting room causing Jeremy and I to jump up.

"is she okay?" Jeremy asked.

"the doctors told Alaric that she got lucky. She's gonna make it. She's gonna be okay." Elena told us.

I may not know Jenna as well as Jer or Elena but she was family and if I've gotten anything out of being raised by Katherine, it's that family means everything.

"does she remember what happened?" I asked.

"no. Nothing. It's all part of Katherine's mind compulsion." she replied.

"why would Katherine hurt Jenna?" Jer asked both of us but Elena answered, before I could.

"because she's trying to send a message. That she could get to anybody."

"hey. Hey. Hey. Come here." Jer soothed her pulling her into a hug, then he looked over to me, as I watched on wishing I had a bond like that with them, and as if my wish was shown by my experssion he held out his arm and pulled me in too.

"look, it's gonna be okay." Jer continued.

"no, it's not." Elena replied, we were all still standing there in a group hug, no one ready to let go.

"She's gonna pay, I don't know how, but she's gonna pay." Jer told us, we all just continued holding each other as if we were actually holding each other together and I felt that if I let go they'd fall apart infront of me.

I pulled up infront of the boarding house, Elena had to speak to Stefan. She got out and heading towards the front door but I couldn't bring myself to get out of the car, we she reache the door she turned and realized I was still sitting here and when she gave me a puzzled look I just shook my head and wiped away the tear that threated to escape. She smiled a sad smile, understanding why I wasn't going in with her. I just sat there wishing her the best, earlier today I had to push Damon, a guy I bearly knew but had a strong connection with, away and now here she was marching on after the Jenna thing and now about to end her relationship with the man she loves all because of my Aunt Kat. I pull out my phone, suddenly growing a pair, and dial Kat's number I hesitate before pressing call but I do it.

"Madi. How unexpected. You and I still have to have a little chat. Tomorrow, I'll text the details." she says and then hangs up before I get a word in.

So much for ripping her a new one, like I was going to. I guess I'll just have to do it tomorrow.

Elena's POV

I walk in and find Stefan in front of the fireplace, back turned to me, but I knew he knew I was there. I have to do this.

He turns to face me as I walk further in, he knows why I'm here it's written all over his face.

"I'm so sorry." he says breaking the silence between us.

"we were stupid. Sneaking around, thinking that we weren't gonna get caught. " I say, taking a few more steps forward.

"I know."

"we did this. Stefan, Jenna's in the hospital and Jeremy could be next, heck Madi could be next, Katherine knows she's with me. And it's all because we didn't listen to her. Because.... Because we're together. Stefan..."

"I know what you're gonna say to me." Stefan interrupts.

I take another couple of steps, closing the gap between us.

"then let me say it." I pause and look him in the eyes. He looks how I feel, as if we're about to break down.

"I've been so selfish because I love you so much.... And I know how much you love me. But it's over."

As much as it kills me to have to do this, I do, I have to do this.

"Stefan, it has to be." I add when he shakes his head, his eyes are red from fighting back his tears and I know as soon as I leave I'll break to.

"Elena, I don't..." he began.

"no, Stefan. It has to be." I say cupping his beautiful face, and I give him one last kiss before turning and almost running for the door. I make it to the door when Damon calls my name.

"I riled Katherine up. I.... I wasn't thinking. I didn't think." he try's to explain.

"it doesn't matter, Damon. She won. Katherine won. More then once today." I know I shouldn't tell him but he should atleast know that someone does care about him.

"what do you mean Elena?" he asked looking very puzzled.

"she threatened Madi to stay away from you Damon, Madi does care about you, but she was smart enough to listen to Katherine's threats." and with that I left a heartbroken looking Damon and got into Madi's car which instantly started to drive away from the boarding house.

I couldn't hold it in anymore and I just broke down into tears, Madi reached over, took my hand and gave me a sad smile. In that moment I knew that Katherine was wrong, she may know Madi better then me but we're sisters, twin sisters, and our bond will keep her with me.

COMMENT

VOTE

FAN

Soft kitty,

Warm kitty,

Little ball of fur.

Happy kitty,

Sleepy kitty,

Purr purr purr!

❤❤❤