Chapter Twenty: The Funeral

Start from the beginning

♥︎

In a cemetery, mourners gather after the funerals for the joint burying. Pastor Charles reads scripture, "Fear not, for I am with you. Be not dismayed, for I am your God," The people at the burial vary from wealthy to impoverished because both families have quite different backgrounds, "I will strengthen you. Yes, I will help you. I will uphold you with my righteous hand," the Pastor continues on.
Joyce looks around, her demeanor isn't sorrowful, but angry. Jonathan is a bit emotional, but he isn't crying, he isn't convinced that his brother is really dead. Lonnie stares ahead, lost in his own thoughts, teary eyed. Mr. and Mrs. (L/N) stare blankly at the caskets, both are honestly bored. Dustin, Lucas, and Mike fake their grief for this bizarre situation, they would have never guessed they'd be going to a fake funeral for their young friends.
Dustin smirks as he looks past Mike to his right. He nudges Mike and Lucas and motions to a blonde girl crying near them, "Just wait till we tell Will and (Y/N) that Jennifer Hayes was crying at their funeral," Dustin says to Mike and Lucas who grin slightly at his comment. Mrs. Wheeler leans forward and shushes Dustin. The boys, who'd forgotten they were supposed to be unhappy, slap frowns back onto their faces.

♥︎

After the Pastor finishes his speech, the mourners drop white and yellow roses onto both caskets. Karen Wheeler embraces Lonnie, "I'm so, so sorry,"
"Oh, thank you so much for coming," he hugs her back. Joyce stands by them, her arms crossed as she stares at the open graves, irritated. Lonnie continues to thank the mourners.
Joyce is torn. She isn't sure what's right and what's wrong anymore. Lonnie had convinced her that Will wasn't with them anymore, but what about everything that she saw? They couldn't have been hallucinations...could they? Joyce is drawn into her memory, thinking about Will and his best friend.

♥︎

Joyce stood at the kitchen counter making two sandwiches. She looked over Will's shoulder at his drawing. "I see Will the Wise is back," Will smiled and nodded, he was deeply concentrated in his drawing and so was (Y/N), her arms were folded on the table and she rested her chin on her forearm. She watched Will's every move intently.
"What's that shooting out of his cane?" Joyce asked, trying to make conversation with her son.
"Fireballs," both Will and (Y/N) responded. Although, Will said it a bit more confidently while (Y/N) mumbled because of the dream-like state she was in, watching Will draw was always relaxing.
"I couldn't find the red crayon, so that's why it's green," Will said so that his mother could understand his poor color choice.
"Oh well, if he's so wise, why does he need fireballs? Why can't he just, you know, outsmart the bad guys?" Joyce asked, provoking her son's imagination.
Will nodded and responded quickly even though the question seemed pretty difficult for a child to answer, "Most of the time, yeah, totally. But, sometimes the bad guys are smart too. You know?" (Y/N) looked up at Will starry-eyed. She loved everything he said. He spoke beautifully and his logic was perfect. Joyce is equally as impressed by her son's intelligent reply.
"Yeah. So, he needs the fireballs?"
"Well, yeah, to burn them to a crisp," (Y/N) cracked a smile at Will's comment.
"All right. Well, I don't know who's been raising you, but I'm gonna get you some new crayons," Joyce said jokingly.
(Y/N) decided to joke herself and add, "Yeah, because it sorta looks like he's shooting cabbages," Will looks to (Y/N), a smile forming on his face. He playfully nudges her and she grins back.
"You know what (Y/N), you're right, that's exactly what it looks like," Joyce chuckles and ruffles Will's hair. They all share a laugh and Will continues to draw green fireballs.

♥︎

"Joyce?" Joyce is drawn out of her memory and feels someone tapping on her shoulder. "Joyce?" Joyce turns to see Mrs. (L/N) standing timidly behind her. "Can we...talk?"