"Someone is coming," Reed groans at my words, whether from the interruption or the fact that this gift that I've developed, he hasn't and he's jealous, I'm not sure, "Something is wrong,"

I rush out of the kitchen back to the bedroom to get dressed. I had just finished pulling my shirt on when there is a knock on the front door. I hear Reed answer it, but I'm already running slipping my shoes on as best I can.

"Female approaching the gate now," Eric, Reed's appointed head warrior says, with a slight bow of his head.

But I'm already pushing past him and Reed, racing towards the gate myself. Reed calls after me and I hear him in pursuit.

He always gets so mad when I do this, and I wonder if part of that is feelings leftover from how many times I had run away from him in the beginning. Not that any of that should be held against me.

Honestly though, If he had it his way, I would wait in a heavily guarded tower while he and his men scope out the newcomer to make sure they're safe. No matter how many times I have tried to explain to him that normal visitors I can feel coming he can 'scope' out all he wants. Most of them are looking for their mates, seeking the information needed to find them.

But there are a few who need instants attention. And in situations like this, I can feel it as if it's my own. The heartbreak and devastation moving over me until it's hard to tell the difference between my feelings and theirs.

By the time I reach the gate, she is already there surrounded by guards. I can hear the sobs coming from her, my own heart aching, as I push my way through the crowds. Only to stop short at the sight in front of me.

She's young, not even twelve by my best guess. Her skin is covered in bruises and cuts, blood drips from somewhere in her hairline. One of her eyes is completely swollen shut, colored an unnatural dark color. Another woman in the compound tried to wrap her in a blanket but when she came to close the girl recoiled as if she were about to be hit.

"It's alright," my voice is calm, collected even if my mind is reeling and my heart is sad at what I see, "Thank you all, please continue about your work," I say dismissing the crowd while holding my hand out for the blanket.

Sarah hands it over to me easily, shooting me a soft smile and I can see her fighting a bow. I have told them all many times, that even though Reed is the leader they look up to, I am not a Luna.

"It's alright. You're safe," the tone came on its own after a few months. A soothing voice that most respond well to, and I'm always reminded of the dark-haired woman and how calm she always sounded.

The girl shoots a glance at Reed behind me but as I step forward with the blanket, she looks back at me with one blue eye the color of sapphire.

"Welcome to the Benedictus," my voice is soft as a whisper as I get close enough to wrap the blanket around her. I gently run a hand over her hair, taking in the color of her aura.

My eyes meet Reed's somber gaze as he takes in the fading, cracked aura around the girl. A tear runs down my cheek at the thought of what has happened to this girl. Before I can move or say anything, another sob sounds from the girl and her good eye closes as she goes lip in my arms.

"We need to get her inside the house," I say quickly, but Reed moves forward to stop me.

"Not the house, we agreed that was what the meeting hall was for," He bends down and scoops the girl in his arms as if she weighed nothing.

I stand quickly and block his way. Yes, I agreed that the meeting hall was for people coming to visit so that they didn't need access to the compound or our home. but this is different. This isn't a wolf looking for a mate or guidance. This is a child, a beaten and bloodied child, who came to us for help.

"No. Take her to the house," Reed's eyes widen and his jaw slackens as he stares at me in horror. Guilt slams into me.

I shouldn't have commanded him like that, I had promised I wouldn't. But it just came out. There is a protectiveness about this girl that I wasn't expecting. Something inside me telling me that she needs us more than anyone else does, especially right now. Does he not feel it?

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have commanded you," I step forward, but with the girl in his arms still, I can't get too close to him, "Look at her, Reed. She's beaten and she needs our help. She's a child,"

His gaze softens at my tone but I can tell he will definitely be talking to me later about the command. And I will take whatever he will give me because he has the right to be angry. But right now, we need to get her inside.

He nods and Eric appears out of nowhere.

"Eric, ring Alpha Gage at Shadow Wolves and ask him to send a doctor immediately," Eric nods and rushes off as we continue to the house.

Reed lays the girl on the couch while I grab a wash cloth and a bowl of water. Neither of is speaks as we move about the room. Once I'm settled on the ottoman next to the couch, carefully moving the washcloth over the girls skin I can feel his eyes on me.

"She's not Shadow Wolves and she's not Moonstone," He says watching me intently, "I'm going to run with some wolves around the outside perimeter to see if we can catch a trail or if anyone followed her,"

I stand and move into his arms and he accepts me willingly.

"Be careful, my love," I murmur into his shoulder as I cling to him.

"For you, Always," he kisses the top of my head gently and with one last squeeze, he leaves.

I watch after him for a minute, like I always do when he leaves, trying to calm myself enough to remind me that he will be back. I stare until I hear the door click and with one more deep breath, I turn back to the task at hand.

❤️ To be continued in book 2 - coming soon ❤️