XVI. The Greed of a Pig

Start from the beginning

"I see. So they have made their move." Crusch said.

"It seems so. Of course, from the moment that Emilia-sama, a half-elf, entered the scene, we foresaw something like this happening." Ferris said.

"I understand the situation. My next question is why you choose to come to me for assistance." Crusch said.

"Because, to be honest, you seem the most likely to help right now. You've helped Rem and me--" Subaru was stopped by Crusch.

"Don't misunderstand. I helped you two because I was contracted to do so. If you wish to negotiate, you need to show me what I stand to gain. Otherwise, there is nothing to negotiate. If, with our assistance, you can eliminate the threat posed by the Witch Cult, what benefit would that be to us? Tell me that." Crusch said.

"So if you see a poor person dying, you won't help them because you need a contract from them for you to help them? Is that how you really act as a leader?" Nezuko asked.

"It is my job to do such things when we are in contract. I can't just help someone who doesn't have the wits or such payment to my help. But in Natsuki Subaru's case, I think I'm about to see my mistakes in here." Crusch said.

"Don't just talk to them like that, Nezuko. They're all hopeless. Everything for them like help or any assistance must have any payment or any offers from you." Jotaro said.

"If you help me out with this problem, I'll owe a huge debt to your camp." Subaru said.

"Should I accept the proposal, it would mean Emilia's withdrawal from the royal selection. You understand that?" Crusch asked. Making Subaru gasp.

"What? My withdrawal f-from the selection?" Emilia asked.

"Ooooooh. Is that how desperate you are to take Emilia-sama away from the selection?" Roswaal asked.

"Stop talking! There's more to hear about this conversation. So please listen!" Nezuko said.

"Placing your own domain's survival in the hands of another lord calls into question your ability to rule the nation. With that in mind... I prompt you again... If you incur a debt to me through this deal, it will mean the elimination of Emilia's camp from the race. Do you still wish for my help?" Crusch asked.

"Even still... I want your help. If she dies, everything ends, anyway." Subaru said.

"How you can say that, Subaru?!" Puck angrily asked.

"Woah, Woah, Woah! Calm down!" Nezuko said.

"The cat is angry. Fufufufu!" Scorpio exclaimed.

"Subaru..." Emilia uttered in shock.

"In that case, the Karsten family will render no assistance whatsoever." Crusch said.

"Huh?" Subaru asked.

"First of all, the condition of Emilia's withdrawal, which you offered in desperation as an advantage to me... It carries no weight in this negotiation.

"But why? Isn't removing one of your rivals enough compensation!?" Subaru angrily asked.

"Are you intentionally overlooking this? Emilia's elimination from the royal selection will happen with or without my involvement." Crusch said.

"Then you'll let the Witch Cult slaughter all of those villagers in Roswaal's domain!?" Subaru angrily asked.

"Do not change the subject, Natsuki Subaru. It is Emilia who lacks the power to protect that domain. And Emilia whose people will die for her incompetence. It is none of my concern." Crusch said.