°•|Chapter X|•°

Start from the beginning

When his voice ceased to emit from his mouth, he sat down on the table with his feet dangling off the edge. He hasn't noticed you yet, but you decided to get his attention by hitting the table [lightly, so as to not break it] with the bottom of the glass cup. He jumped slightly at hearing the sound of the glass clinking before whisking his head over to the source. Your heart felt all bubbly and warm at seeing his face light up with glee. The next time you opened your eyes from the process of blinking, he was gone. 

A ring of blue circled you, slapping your body with the coldness of the air, accompanied by joyful laughter. "[Y/N]!" He said, stopping right in front of you, ending the circle of [life] blue. "I'm so happy you're okay! You really made me think you were long gone!" 

Smiling sheepishly, you knelt down to his height only to get engulfed in a quick hug. "I'm glad you're okay, too," you said before guiding him back to the table in the centre of the room. You rubbed your forehead as the second wave of your headache strolled in. "So...where's Tom and Maddie?" You asked, as the hedgehog, now sitting back on the table in his original place, watched you in slight concern. "They're in there," he answered, pointing his index finger towards the wooden doors behind you. "They said they had to talk or something. Told me to wait here." 

You nodded before pulling out a chair and sat in front of the hedgehog. You figured whatever they had to speak about must have been important, and being the person who's used to that from your own parents, you decided waltzing in there in front of them was a terrible decision, especially with an awkward aftermath. 

"So... Care to fill me in on what happened during mustache man's attack?" You asked.

"Hmm....let's see.... Not including the part where I skate across the road on these discs - amazingly, might I add -,  destroying not one, but three bots, and the roof of Tom's car getting lasered off by a small, flying round drone. Cute, but deadly. Cut out the part when I get knocked out by the same drone self-destructing and I'll say, you haven't missed that much."

Your eyes widened a bit. "You got knocked out by the drone self-destructing?" You said, checking him over for any injury that your eyes had failed to see. He let out a chuckle at your behavior. "Don't worry, [Y/N]. I'm alright. It's you I'm worried about." 

You opened your mouth to say something, but nothing came out. Sonic studied you, perhaps trying to read your emotions. "[Y/N]?" You snapped out of your state and said, "I'm fine." 

Before quickly adding, "darn, Tom's Toyota got busted up top? Probably sucks so bad for him." Relief washed over you as the hedgehog seemed to have not noticed you changing the subject. "Yeah. My only hope is that he has car insurance..."

You gave him a smile, before hiding your hand that was injured back at the Pistol pit behind you. "So! Should I get a reward?" He asked playfully. You cocked your head to the side, not getting his gist, "a reward?" You repeated. "Yup! Every hero gets rewarded for their heroic deeds, right?" He said, now beginning to kick his legs gently back and forth. 

You shrugged slightly, deciding to play along with his game. "Ah, that reward. Mhm, sure..."

You got up from your chair a bit, just enough so that you two were face to face, before leaning in. Upon coming into contact with his cheek with your lips, you heard a faint sound that reminded you of a bucket full of chopsticks bashing into each other. Accompanied by what appeared to be a small squeak. When you pulled back, a burst of giggles escaped from your mouth. The once cocky hedgehog didn't look so confident now.

The quills protruding from the back of his head stuck up in a messy pattern. His eyes were wide in shock as a rosy pink dusted his muzzle. He broke out of his state when he heard your giggling, crossing his arms before looking away, pouting; his blush only getting darker in embarrassment. "What's wrong? I thought you said you wanted a 'reward'," you managed to say, before a short laugh began to tug at your throat.