6: I'm so sorry... but I can't shift

Depuis le début

But I couldn't give them that. I already destroyed the hopes of one pack, I couldn't disappoint another Alpha.

Especially not on his territory where he can quickly call for backup.

'Please Miquaela' Mishka silently begged.

Trying to think up an excuse, I didn't even realise I was talking until my voice spread through the living room.

"I'm so sorry, but I can't shift... right now. In my old pack, I was taught to protect my wolf's identity to avoid attack. My wolf has therefore learnt to only shift in private until she has the protection she needs, and right now she hasn't had time to evaluate everyone in the room for possible danger." Thankfully, the excuse came out a lot more confident then I felt.

'Thank you M' Mishka gasped out in relief at my quick lie.

I wasn't exactly lying. I was taught to hide my wolf for safety, it was just against my pack rather than against rogues wanting to take out the 'white wolf'. We had had time to evaluate everyone, and we were more than aware of the danger that could come from us shifting right now.

I could feel the disappointment radiating from the Alpha and Luna, but I kept my eyes locked on Donovan, searching for protection. His wolf let out a sigh before shifting back.

Standing tall, Donovan once again took a hold of my right hand. His other hand followed close behind, lightly gripping my chin and pulling it up to meet his eyes.

More shock overcame me as the loving glances from before were now competing with looks of disappointment and a need for control. I could tell that he recognised the difference in our ranks and felt a natural urge to demand our submission to his requests.

I tried to step away, but he kept me tugged close to him.

"It's okay Princess" his words may have matched his tone, but it did not match the barely restrained frustration in his eyes, "How about I show you up to my room, and your wolf can come out to me alone first. Maybe, if she see's how protective her mate is, she would feel more comfortable around my parents. Small steps right?"

Alpha Devon quickly followed on from his son's words.

"That's a wonderful idea, son. Miquaela, I greatly respect your wolf's natural defence instincts and I feel intense respect for her caution with something so important to the wolf population. We thank you. You two head upstairs, and your mother and I will entertain the guests before dinner." He finalised. Similar to Donovan, while his words spoke of respect, his tone suggested his aggravation at my wolf refusing to come out.

Alpha Devon ushered everyone out of the room once again. Donovan kept a tight hold on my hand as he began to walk out of the Livingroom and towards the stairs.

Both of us remained quiet as we moved through the house. The stairs were large enough to fit around four people side by side, the railings decorated with carvings of wolves. In the centre of the right railing, I could see another engraving stand out proudly.

The legend.

I guess I was naïve to think that the pack the held 'McKay' wouldn't worship the scripture as much as my old pack once had.

We continued walking up three separate fights of stairs in complete silence. Each landing held a grand Livingroom area with long hallway's connecting on either side of it. The legend was visibly engraved at the side of each flight of stairs.

Eventually, we stopped climbing as Donovan guided me through this floor's Livingroom. We travelled down one of the hallways, his hand gripping mine the entire time, before we stopped in front of a door.