6: I'm so sorry... but I can't shift

Start from the beginning

He puffed his chest out and pulled his mate closer to his side.

I looked over to my parents to see them both stood in shock. Small, loving smiles peaked at the edge of their mouths at seeing me finally find the person to love me unconditionally. However, I could also detect a distinct feeling of worry shining through their eyes.

'They're going to make us shift' I realised as I swung my head back around to Donovan. He hadn't torn his eyes away the entire time. 'They're going to want to see the two miracle wolves together'.

Trying to regain my composure, I looked back up at Donovan and tried to appear calmer.

"Donovan?" I mumbled weakly, confirming his name. As soon as the word left my lips, a content yet possessive purr rumbled through his chest.

Another reaction from the mate bond that I still couldn't feel.

"That's me, little wolf. And may I ask your name, Princess?" He mumbled back, matching my volume but with a more seductive tone. I struggled not to pull back and cringe at the nickname. A pet name that has been tainted for me after years of it being used as an insult.

As I went to respond, he pulled my hand that he was still holding towards him, curling his other hand around my waist as I stumbled foreword. Every loving move he made, or excited glance he casted our way, made Mishka more frantic to feel what he did.

Taking note of our silence, Luna Neia soon answered for me.

"Aww, look at the star-struck girl. She must be so happy to not only find her mate, but her prophesised partner and protector. This is Miquaela Maier." She rambled.

'Not completely accurate but we'll go with it.' I thought to myself. There was no recognition or surprise in his eyes as I realised that he already knew. He must have heard while he was hiding around the corner.

"Miquaela. Beautiful, just like you." He exclaimed with a proud smirk. Once again, I struggled not to cringe as Mishka became more uncomfortable with each word that left his mouth. We could feel the loving intentions behind his words, but they just weren't effecting us in the way we had imagined.

"The pack will be overjoyed to learn of this union. Don't keep us waiting, let's see our saviour wolves together." Alpha Devon chimed in, breaking the growing tension.

More fear built up inside of me as Donovan removed his hand from my waist and stood back with a large grin. Settling a few metres away from me, he sent one final wink my way before beginning to shift.

In a few split seconds, his body fell to the floor and morphed into his wolf. His paws growing claws, fur sprouting, and his muzzle and ears appearing. Realizing that he wasn't able to speak, Luna Neia spoke up to introduce me to the wolf now standing proud in front of me.

"Miquaela, meet Ajax."

Ajax stood tall, his back almost reaching up to my hips, and his chest puffed out in a show of power. He padded around the living room a little, showing off to us and seeking our approval as his mate. His black fur glistened under the light shining down from above us. He flicked his tail side to side a few times to show it's power before spinning back towards me. Bright orange eyes contrasted greatly against his black fur, locked on me as he slowly approached. Silver stands of fur surrounded his snout and mouth, continuing sparingly down the front of his chest.

His wolf was beautiful.

Stopping a few feet away from me, Ajax planted himself on the floor and puffed his chest out further. He sat expectantly, waiting for my wolf to show herself to him.

Immediately I was taken out of admiring the wolf in front of me as fear consumed me once again. Glancing around, I could see the anticipatory stares of Donovan's parents as they waited to see their son's little white wolf mate.