Part One

Everyone says that if you raise a child, it turns out to be just like you. But that's not what happens. They turn right into their mommas and papas. They turn against the people who raised them, grow afraid of them. Just because they are darker.

Why? Because people like me are oppressed. Depressed. Beaten. Violated. Degraded. Just for being born non-white. For being, Negro. I have never understood why we are treated different. But that doesn't mean that I haven't come to terms with it.

The first child I raised, a little White girl. The sweetest girl I had met, her name was Anne Marie Kassier. I was just about 13 when i had started. My papa had made Mama take me out of school to help work, and pay the bills.

This type of thing wasn't shocking. Negro girls dropped out of school everyday, once they hit the age of 12, it was only a matter of time till they were takin out of school by Papa or Mama to help work. While the men where taught how to work, the women where taught how to take care. Not of our own children, but of the white ones.

My face of solemn as I watched The white father drive away from the dirt driveway. The smoke flew from under the wheels as the turned, The white Mother crying as her husband left her forever. He had found her in bed with a Negro man.

After disposing the body, he packed his bags, and left. The white Children run onto the porch to get their momma. I catch them and turned them towards the house to not watch the scene a head of us.

"Why don't we go inside and get you two washed up for supper?" I asked standing back up, I grab a hold of their tiny white hands and led them back into the house. Walking through the pricey house I get to the bathroom and tell them wash their hands as I will set the table.

I walk back downstairs and clear my throat as the Mrs, well, Ms comes inside drying off her face. "Ms. Samatha, will you be joining Kylie and Parker for dinner?" I asked politely.

"No. Thank you Mekell. I'm just going to head up to my room and take an early rest. After dinner, Please put the kids to bed, then you can go on home." She said walking up the stairs with a little sniffle. She was only in a open button up and her undergarments. Her Brown hair was a mess and it was just sad.

I nodded and walked into the kitchen, i see the cook, Finishing up dinner. "Razi. The Ms isn't going to eat, she said after the kids eat, put them to bed. Then we may leave." I informed him as I went to prepare the table. He replied with a short 'Alright' that sounded more like 'Aight' because of how we were taught to speak as we grew up.

I grew up in the society that showed us no Power. As we all knew we are:

"Separate but Equal."