~~ Prologue ~~

As my charcoal grey suit smothered my light charcoal grey waistcoat, goldish-yellow tie and starch white button-up shirt, my black 'woollen' coat with my knitted red scarf was bundled onto me. The smooth, coffee coloured, rectangular-shaped leather briefcase that had become worn and started to fall apart, like breadcrumbs, had found itself in my hand weathered hand. I was ready to leave the office, so I walked toward the elevator and said, “Goodbye, Meredith.”

“Bye, Jonathan. Be safe,” the receptionist replied.

Patiently, I stood in the elevator, waiting for it to get to take me to the ground floor. As I had anticipated, the bus had just arrived when I walked through the wide, glass doors of the grand building I worked in.

“Hello, John, fancy seeing you here.” The bus driver, Felix, chuckled.

“It’s like we never see each other.” I chuckled, again. Of course, we saw each other every day.

I sat in my regular seat near the middle and gazed out the window - out to the city, the buildings, the cars... Maybe, when I retired next year, Elle and I would move to the countryside or a more rural area.

I watched the city disappear and the cars increase as we crossed a bridge.

Suddenly, two cars crashed into each other and the bus swerved; Felix struggled to maintain control of the faded yellow bus I went home in every single day. Then, we hit the side of the bridge – the railing – but the momentum and speed caused us to tumble right off and into mid-air. For a moment, everything was in slow-motion and everything seemed silent, but the screaming and shrieks started not long after.

Down.

Down.

Down.

Down to the bottom of the ocean.