the aftermath

DREAM

I open my eyes and I realize I'm in the forest but there is a thick fog everywhere. So I start walking but it's so thick I almost don't see the wolf until it is right in front of me. I step back in surprise but it just stands there and watches me so in return I watch it. It is about four feet tall with a light grey fur and piercing blue eyes.

"Hello, it's been a long time." I hear from the wolf's direction.

"Did you just talk?" I asked in disbelief, feeling silly for asking.

"You don't remember me do you?" it said with a sigh.

"Ummm.....noo should I?" I asked sounding like a dumbstruck idiot. I am talking to a wolf and the first thing I say is "ummm" great first impression.

"We have a lot of catching up to do but that is for a later date right now you have to wake up." It says before it turns and runs into the forest.

"Wait!" I try to run after it but the world starts to fall away and suddenly I'm just falling through the fog and the nothingness beyond it. As I fall the rushing of the air is so calming I start to feel drowsy, and then I laugh, being sleepy in a dream? That's weird, but it makes it all the more terrifying when I wake up.

END OF DREAM

 "AHHH!"

"Oh, dreadfully sorry if I startled you young Master." I look up to see Wadsworth our butler standing over me.

"Wadsworth? When did you get back? You're supposed to be on vacation." I look at him in his ever perfect suite and notice the grey creeping into his hair, the kindness in his eyes and the strange propriety of his small mustache.

"Yes I was, but it seems that you were attacked last night and I can't let that happen now can I?" He says with a wink. "Besides one can only enjoy so much of the Bahamas before things start to get dismally tedious. Anyway my place is here on the estate caring for its many treasures and its inhabitants."

I set up and run my hands through my hair. "Well I'm glad you're back, this house is not right without you." I smile as he sets down a tray with some tea and a slice of toast on it which I gladly stuff into my face with a quick thanks and start to drink my tea.

He looks around with a frown and I notice the mess the sitting room is in. "It would seem that Master Brent had one of his parties, what an atrocious display of ignorance".

"Oh I'm sorry I'll help you clean it up." I say as I try to get up but he puts his hand on my arm and guides me back to the couch. I look up at him with a look of confusion as he chuckles.

"That is very noble of you but it is my job to clean up after others." He starts to put order back into the room as I finish my breakfast. I watch him for a moment and then a thought hits me, when was the last time he was thanked for everything that he does for us?

"Wadsworth?"

"Yes Maximillian?"

"Thank you...for everything." He pauses for a minute and studies me.

"What was that for?"

"I...I just thought you deserved a thank you, you do so much for us, but you never get anything in return. I know it's not much but..." I trail off and he smiles.

"You're always so kind, just like your mother Maximillian. You are very welcome." He starts to tidy up the room and I finish my tea.

He looks at me from the other end of the room as he straightens the portraits on the wall. "When you are finished with your tea your father wishes to speak with you: he's in his study." I start off towards his study when Wadsworth catches my attention and gestures to my clothes and I gasp. I'm a mess! My clothes are either dirty or covered in blood. So I mouth a quick thank you to Wadsworth and run to my room where I throw on some clean clothes and fix my hair. As I reach the study I hear father yelling at someone so I stop and listen.

"WHAT DO I PAY YOU IDIOTS FOR? YOUR WHOLE JOB IS TO PREVENT THIS FROM HAPPENING AND WHAT DO YOU DO? YOU LET SOME SON OF A B*TCH INTO THE ESTATE AND TO MAKE MATTERS WORSE ONE OF MY CHILDREN WAS ATTACKED!"

"But sir your son was having a party we couldn't..."

"COULDN'T WHAT? DO YOUR JOB? SEARCH EVERY CAR THAT COMES THROUGH THOSE GATES? MAKE SURE THAT MY HOUSEHOLD IS NOT HARMED BY SOME CRAZY VIGILANTY? YOUR FIRED MCMILLAN! ANYONE ELSE WANT TO GET FRIED? I DIDN'T THINK SO; IM CUTTING A FOURTH OF YOUR PAY UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE, DISSMISSED.

I step back as the security team came out of the study and wait until they are out of sight. I take a deep breath and open the door to the study.

"Hello Maximillian how are you feeling? Dad says as he tries to calm down.

"I-I'm fine." I say not knowing what else to say to him. I look at the rumpled suite he is wearing causing me to conclude that he has been up all night making sure nothing was stolen and calling important people.

"Good, I've spoken with a few of you teachers and I think you should take a few extra classes to boost your college eligibility rating.

"Ummm, ok?" I say more confused than anything and wanting desperately not to be there.

"Alright then I will have your school councilor go over it with you first thing Monday morning." He looks back down at the papers on his desk and starts writing things down as if I am no longer there. So not knowing what to do I wander downstairs into the living room.