A needed Sacrifice

~???~

I watched the house and as the hours trickled by I saw many things but nothing of notable interest. Just really tightly knit security, a few teenagers, and a really old butler. I was about to send the all clear, but I decided to use the scanner first. Normally I don't because it is really huge and difficult to carry around but old money usually has old secrets so I brought it with me. It took me forever to set it up and I almost said "fuck it" but finally it started up and when it showed the scan I couldn't believe it. All across the board it light up like fireworks, there were signs of Lupine, Sanguine, Kitsune, warlock, and two very old types of Mer that the scanner could not  identify. I scrambled for my cell phone to called the others and  tried to send them the scan. But just then the scanner light up; I looked down at it and it showed something heading my way, extremely fast. I tried to get a read on it so I could know what to use to defend myself but it couldn't identify it. Great, stupid piece of junk. I stood up and pulled out my silenced pistol, waiting for whatever it was to come crashing through the brush, I hope what ever it is likes silver bullets. As I did it got cold, I started to shiver, but I did not hear any noise in the woods but my breath. I looked around and then I saw it, I instantly trained my gun on the wolf that had seemingly appeared out of now where. I thought that maybe it was just a regular wolf but it cocked its head to the side and grinned. I fired off two shots but it was gone, I spun around, looking for it but it was nowhere to be seen. Its messing with me. I dove for my things and quickly packed them all up, all the wile watching the scanner for it. I turned in a circle one last time and darted towards my car through the brush. I could feel the cold in my throat as I took in deep breaths to match my quick strides. I heard something to my right and I threw myself into a roll as a wolf came sailing through the brush right over me as I spun around and fired off three more shots at its stomach. I landed in a crouch as I surveyed the surrounding area for sounds, tracks, or blood. But all I found were sticks and leaves that seemed to mock me as it got colder still. I started running again furious that I missed and eager to tell the others at the same time. And in my haste I failed to see the limb on the path and went sprawling face first into the dirt. I got up and knew it was watching me, from somewhere. If I had my gear I could take it, but I only brought the basics on this scouting mission. I looked down at the scanner and considered leaving it but I could hear the boss yelling at me and the laughs on the others faces when I came back with no proof. I dove for it and just as I did I felt something ice cold press against my throat. I tried for my gun but it was gone and I heard a chuckle behind me.

"Uh, uh uh...now tell me hunter, how does it feel to become the hunted?" I felt a wave of fear wash over me a I realized that this creature knew what I was and had no intentions on letting me go.                 "Ahh, that's better, now you know what it feels like to be one of our kind, minus the innocence, that you lost long ago." I was about to protest when my head jerked slightly to the side and I was released to fall to the ground as a bone deep cold unlike any I had ever known spread from my throat. I looked down and saw blood, my blood pouring out of my neck. I looked up at my captor and saw a very aesthetically pleasing man standing in front of me with white eyes with just the lightest hints of blue and the most beautiful  blue moonstone talons. He smiled and swept the white hair out of his face. "I'm sorry my friend, I'm sure you have much of your short mortal life ahead of you, and you have proven to be an entertaining adversary. But I cannot allow you to harm the last heir to the throne, and one of the last of my kin. I hope you understand and forgive us in the end," As he said this a number of pale, beautiful people stepped out of the forest into the clearing. At first I thought they were vampires, but their skin did not look unhealthy, on the contrary, it was beautiful. "but it is, for the survival of a species. And the protection of human kind." I looked at him confused and he just smiled as he walked over and patted me on the head. By now the cold has spread through my body, sending my into a fit of shivers as my blood starts to freeze.

"W-w-wha-hat aa-a-are y-you?" I managed to croak. And as my vision started to tunnel they looked at each other sadly.

"We are the last of the frost clan, defenders of the immortal vessel. And we apologize greatly for this, but it had to be done." I then felt a overwhelming peace as the last ounces of my life froze over and all went black.

"Soon it will be time to take back our kin, but we must do what we are best at my brethren, waiting." The all nodded as they changed their forms and returned to their positions. One by one they grew so still they became unnoticeable to the naked eye. As the leader took one last look at the mansion he somberly mumbled. "We will wait."