iv. best friends!

Start from the beginning

             When they left, Venus releases a small breath of relief and sends a smile to McGonagall. "Sorry, Professor," she apologizes quietly.

             The older woman softens her gaze and places her hand on her shoulder. "Venus, I know what you're trying to do, but I don't want to see you hurt," McGonagall sighs with a troubled tone. "Promise me you won't be so reckless?"

             Venus grimaces at her words. "Professor, you know that I have tremendous respect for you and adore you, but I cannot promise that," she founds herself saying honestly. "I know what I'm getting myself into."

             Tears gather up in the elder woman's face for a few seconds before she nods understandably. "You are truly brave, Venus. I just wish you would not have to do it this way."

             The young girl sighs to herself when her favorite professor wanders back to the large table. Noticing the urge in her friend's face, Venus heads toward her immediately and gives her half a smile. "Did you like it?"

             "That was incredibly dangerous, V!" Lizette whisper-yells, giving a sharp motherly look. That is the thing about her best friend; she takes the part in being the mother role in their small friend group. Venus loves her for that reason, but she also knows that if her cousin were with her, he would have given her a high five. Sure, he would have also been concerned but that takes part later.

             She shrugs nonchalantly. "Yeah, but did you hear those laughs? They're so adorable!"

             Lizette rubs her temples in exhaustion before handing her a timetable that had the name Venus Thomas in it. Her nose scrunches up at the reminder of having classes. She bites her lip curiously while noting the schedule for what she is to have in her last year at Hogwarts. Although, the auburn-haired girl is taking six classes, Venus finds herself taking only five of them: Transfiguration, Charms, Herbology, Defense— Dark Arts, and... Muggle Studies? She would have thought they would take Muggle Studies out of the curriculum, but to her surprise it is still there.

             Venus does not like how reading the words made her flesh crawl in sudden unsettlement. It does not sit right with her taking the class without Professor Burbage to ramble wondrously about muggles being fascinating. A full witch finding herself completely divined with the wonders of the world— now she is most likely dead. She hears Seamus and Lizette conversing with one another, but she does not join in... having taken a glimpse at Lizette's, she surprises herself by noticing that the auburn-haired girl is taking it as well. Quite frankly, that is odd since Lizette never even took Muggle Studies so why is she taking it now?

             "Hey, Liz," Venus finds herself calling out softly. Lizette stops her conversation shortly with Seamus as she raises an eyebrow curiously. Raising up both of their timetables, she notices that they all have similar class (which makes sense since many students were not attending). "Why are you taking Muggle Studies?"

             Lizette slowly began frowning and stares at her sadly. Her lips form into a pout right when her brows furrow to show her unsettledness. "V, everyone has to take Muggle Studies. You came late to breakfast, but they went over how this class and Defense— I mean, Dark Arts is mandatory," she explains in a low whisper, biting her bottom lip nervously.

             Venus narrows her eyes suspiciously, crumbling the paper while her hand turns into a fist. She does not shred it since her mind would definitely not remember the order of her classes. Mondays and Thursdays she had Transfiguration for her first class, Charms for second, and Muggle Studies last. Tuesdays and Fridays is when she thankfully had two— Herbology and Dark Arts. Wednesdays is when she is completely free.