When Push Comes to Shove

Start from the beginning

Walking down stairs she stood in front of the fireplace holding them close to her. Her fingers gripped tightly to the leather book but before she could have second thoughts she tossed it into the fire. It was time to put to the test how she really felt. Scarlett felt naïve and lost when it came to love. Maybe she merely held great attraction, something that would soon fade. But how long did it really take to get over someone?

*****

Dathan didn't leave the carnival until it began to close down and headed for his carriage drained of voice and strength. The night was so dark and foggy that he felt his coach might not make it all the way home. He had sent his mother away hours ago and stayed behind. Now he made his way to his carriage and slipped inside feeling very disappointed. Holding his face in his hands Dathan felt frustrated and signaled for his coach to head in the direction of his house.

Along the foggy dark road his carriage came to a stop as the young carriage rider slipped from his position and knocked lightly on his door. "Sir, it's another hour until we arrive and I don't feel that I can go on." the young boy pleaded with Dathan.

Having no other choice but to stop at an inn he laid his head to rest and closed his eyes as he struggled to find slumber. He was certain that he would find no such thing.

***

Scarlett stretched and unknotted her muscles protesting with a small groan as she swung her long legs off the bed and stood. Last night she had taken one small step and with shaky hands forced herself to burn every sketch ever made of him. She watched as the fire consumed the thick stalk like paper and burned it to a crisp leaving no evidence of it ever existing. Once she had rid herself of all of them she stood, forced a smile, and headed up the steps waiting to feel something new in the morning.

The man of her dreams was out there somewhere and she would desperately wait the day to finally meet him. She wanted a new life to begin and a new found love to grow to fill the cracks of her broken heart. Washing the night sleep off of her she combed her chocolate hair into long curls and slipped into a light dress to hug her figure just right. She pinched her cheeks to a rosy color and pushed her feet into a pair of long lady boots buttoning them quickly.

Trotting down stairs she smiled and inhaled the fresh air roaming the house finally entering the kitchen only to find Mia washing a few vegetables in the sink.

"So how did you sleep?" Mia asked, as Scarlett and her readied breakfast.

"Good."

"Any bad dreams?" she asked.

"I said I slept well." Scarlett repeated.

"Last night-,"

"Never happened, and today is a brand new day, so let's just move on with our lives." she cut in smiling.

Mia smiled and silenced her lips as they stood side by side cooking. She had been mourning her divorce as if it had been the death of him. Now a new life awaited her, one she hope brought forth nothing but good luck.

*****

Scarlett cleaned out the kitchen after everyone had left and hummed a melody while she slipped the small pile of dishes into a large grey tub. She found it distracting to hum and did so as she cleaned every dish to a sparkle and mopped the floor good and clear. She pushed out the back door, the large bucket of murky dark brown water sloshed and threatened to spill as she flung it out the back door in a swift motion.