Chapter 9

'Who are you?'

He asked through the string of his zither, flicking his fingers. A song he breathed to the audience of the stars. The cliff was his stage while moon was his spotlight.

'I am your well-wisher, your solace, your sun.' The strings hummed a response.

'Where are you?' He asked, swirling the tune in the air. He had been looking for his sun; who brought light to stars in the sky, who gave purpose to the moon.

But who give peace to the sun?

'In your heart'. The strings twirled in response.

In my heart? Lan Wangji placed his hand on his heart, closing his eyes, he listened to the rhythm of that beat. It beat a lonely song.

'Are you sad?' He asked, giving life to the strings.

'As long as you are alive, I won't be.' The strings danced to his call.

Alive? He's alive, he's healthy. But why does it not feel like living?

'What about you? Are you sad?' The string bounced in a rhythm.

Am I sad? Lan Wangji stared into the moon. It was bright tonight.

'Not sad, but hollow.' Lan Wangji answered, playing the cords. He felt like missing a part of him, No, not just a part. He's missing his entire soul.

'Why do you feel that way?' The strings fell like tear drops.

'I am imperfect, my heart is incomplete.' He answered, feeling the weight of himself.

'Then remember your heart. You will not feel incomplete.' The chords resonated with him, to his core.

Remember my heart? How would he do that? What does that even mean?

Lan Wangji bid farewell as the night gong sounded in the distance. It was time for him to sleep.

Walking along the lane of gentians, Lan Wangji stood in front of the cottage which used to be his mothers. An unfamiliar scent still lingered there. It wasn't of his mother for sure, yet it felt so welcoming.

I am cold like the wind and still like the sea, do I have a heart?

A little rustle of leaves captured his attention, trudging around Lan Wangji spotted something. He bent down, offering his support and before long the little intruder hopped on his palm.

"What are you doing here?" Lan Wangji asked the little companion in his arms. His black fur mingling impeccably in the night.

"Did you come alone?" Lan Wangji stroked the little comrade as he strolled trough the night, making his way towards the rabbit field.

As he suspected, the little furballs were already deep in slumber. How come this little bun traveled so far?

Sitting down at the flesh green grass, Lan Wangji placed the little trespasser in his lap, soothing its fur.