"This is a prestigious competition. Though you can choreograph your own scene, we are tight for time. Plus, you can't go wrong with dancing a classical piece." Just as Wu Ke finished talking, Yin Li entered. She then smiled and left.

I looked at Yin Li and saw that he had a container of food in his hands. It was probably slowly simmered soup prepared specially by the dietitian.

"Don't feel pressure. The competition happens every year and there's no need to be anxious." He spoke softly and passed a spoon full of soup.

I felt rather embarrassed. "It's me who wants to compete. It wasn't Wu Ke's idea." I drank the spoonful. "Madame Taylor will be on this year's judging panel. She agrees to judge only once every five years on average."

And I didn't have another five years to wait. A ballet dancer's lifespan wasn't that long. Ballet was a dance for the strong. It was demanding on the body and mind.

Yin Li understood my underlying meaning. "Even still, don't push yourself too hard. Wu Ke even said that you've found your own interpretation of Odette. Don't be too worried. I know you want to have your own stage and be recognized, especially by your teacher. It will happen."

"Yin Li, are you busy tonight?"

He was a bit surprised by this question but still shook his head.

"Then want to stay and watch me dance?"

Yin Li couldn't even hide his smile. "Yes, I very much want to see."

That night when he saw me come out in my sequin-adorned white tutu and white satin shoes, he was awed. I wore my performance outfit, did my hair, and applied makeup.

I wanted him to see my best side. I wanted to dance for him and use my body to express my love. For him, I immersed myself in Odette's dream. Every step I took was light and weightless like a swan's. With the music, it was like I had become a swan—with a graceful long neck and glistening white feathers. Every curve my body outlined was delicate and beautiful, and there was that ice-cold noble yet elegant demeanor.

Odette's movements were tender and carefree, capturing her youthful innocence. Afterall, she was a princess, even if only a prince's love could save her. Odette and the prince's meetings progressed naturally.

Odette was pure while Odile was evil. In the end, the prince would come to love Odette.

I spun slowly yet gracefully. My hands were my wings. The blinking of my eyes and the positioning of my head were like a bird's. I wanted to capture the essence of a swan.

Yin Li fixed his gaze on me with a deep look in his eyes. But he was different from all other audience members. He wasn't just watching Odette. He was peering through Odette's outer shell and looking at me.

For some strange reason, I leapt and performed a move known to be Odile's. This disrupted the harmony between the music and myself. I tried to combine Odette's and Odile's moves in an effort to save the performance. What started as an impulsive misstep ended in a beautiful conclusion.

After dancing Odile's gentle movements, I leapt in the air with vigor. I smoothly transitioned from the grand jeté into Swan Lake's famous 32 fouettes. In Swan Lake, Odile danced the fouettes when enticing the prince. They were intense, powerful, and emotional.

Before, I was afraid of attempting this move. It was extremely demanding on the feet. In a fouette, the standing foot could not move outside a narrow circle the circumference of your hips. You not only had to perform 32 fouettes, you also had to keep that standing foot within that narrow circle. All the while, you had to pay attention to the details of your dancing and bring all the elements together in one harmonious act.