Scars and Sunrise

Start from the beginning

"I'll try." She eventually breathed out, finally looking up to meet his gaze. [Y/n]'s face broke into a small smile as he nodded gratefully. That's all he wanted her to do. Try.

"Hey." A familiar voice called out and both [Y/n] and Kamiki turned to see Rin standing at the door to the roof. [Y/n] noticed that he was also still in his pyjamas - a plain blue t-shirt and black sweatpants - but wasn't wearing any shoes and was holding a plastic bag in his hand. [Y/n] raised an eyebrow in confusion. Even with Yukio's 6 am rule, he never expected Rin to be awake at 5 am.

"Hey, Rin." [Y/n] greeted, crossing his arms over his chest while he watched Rin walk toward them. Kamiki shifted uncomfortably on the spot but gave him a small wave as a greeting. Rin smiled at the pair before turning to Kamiki.

"How are you holding up?" He asked softly, his calm tone slightly shocking the purple-haired girl. She tensed for a moment before responding.

"Fine." She said simply, giving Rin a small nod but still refusing to meet his eyes. Rin nodded with a small smile.

"That's good to hear." He announced happily, putting his hand behind his head while Kamiki let out a sigh. [Y/n] noticed that she seemed to be getting more and more uncomfortable by the second.

"I should get going. I want to go check on Paku." She announced suddenly, quickly turning and heading toward the door without another word. [Y/n] just waved her off as she quickly disappeared from sight, leaving Rin in a state of confusion. As she left the two boys alone, [Y/n] finally let out the deep sigh he'd been holding in. Rin turned to him with a raised eyebrow, dropping his hands back to his sides.

"What did Yukio say about the ghoul?" [Y/n] asked, watching Rin instantly tense up at the question.

"He just said that sometimes mid-to-high-level demons slip through. But it's really rare." The navy-haired male replied and [Y/n] rolled his eyes.

"That's bullshit." He sighed and Rin nodded in agreement. Of course, it was bullshit. It was obvious that something or someone got that thing in. But both of them knew that Yukio wouldn't cave in if they tried to get more answers out of him. Letting out another sigh, [Y/n] stretched out his arms, letting out a noise of satisfaction as he heard his stiff joints pop into place. "Whatever. As long as the higher-ups fix it." [Y/n] brushed it off, trying not to think about it since he knew it would just end up making him mad again. He closed his eyes as he tried to clear his head again.

"Here." Rin spoke up, regaining [Y/n]'s attention. The [h/c]-haired male opened his eyes to see Rin holding out a blue bento box for him. [Y/n] raised an eyebrow in confusion as he took it while Rin flashed him his signature fanged smile. "I thought you and I could eat breakfast up here today." Rin declared excitedly, immediately turning and taking a few steps closer to the edge of the roof. [Y/n] just watched him in confusion until Rin plopped down onto the ground, sitting cross-legged while gesturing for [Y/n] to sit beside him. [Y/n] tensed as he complied, taking his seat beside the older Okumura. He knew exactly why Rin was here.

"Is there something you want to talk about?" [Y/n] asked as he opened his bento and looked inside. His favourite breakfast. He already knew the answer but figured that asking wouldn't do any harm. Rin was silent for a moment. [Y/n] assumed because he was probably surprised that he already knew that he wanted to talk. The [h/c]-haired male sighed and shook his head as he looked down at the food sadly. "It's about my scars, isn't it?" He asked and he heard Rin's breath hitch slightly. That was all the answer he needed.

"I just want to make sure you're okay." Rin announced quietly, looking at [Y/n] in concern. His eyes glanced down to [Y/n]'s scarred arms before they flicked back up to his tired face. [Y/n] just chuckled sadly, releasing a deep breath.