Summer Break

The middle of June. It was the final day of school before summer break, and I was not ready for it to end. Not that I ever gave a shit about school; I was a straight-C student, but now that it was over...

"Stop frowning, you big weenie," Jacob said, shoving me around the hall one last time. "It makes you look like you actually give a shit about life."

Jacob laughed as if he just told the best joke in the world, which he did not, nor was he capable of ever doing. I loved him, of course, but I'd be taking that with me to the grave.

"Seriously, Canary Bird, what's up?" Jacob asked. "It's the last day of school. You should be celebrating!"

"You're totally right," I said dryly. "I guess I'll go lose my virginity tonight at some random keggar with a really mediocre-looking dweeb."

Jacob rolled his eyes, and we kept walking, dodging sobbing cheerleaders, and students grabbing each other's asses just for the thrill of it.

"Who's the lucky guy who'll deflower you tonight?" Jacob asked.

'Who said it would be a guy?' I thought.

Jacob chuckled, and gestured over to a kid who just couldn't wait long enough to actually exit the building to smoke.

"How about him? Knowing you, you'll wanna start little."

I stared the pothead kid, and quickly realized that I knew who he was. Not well, of course, but we had a few classes together the past ten years.

"Stanley Barber?" I said. "I'd rather finger myself, thank you very much. You know, like your girlfriend has to, since you're such a disappointment."

"Fuck, bro, that's cold!"

Jacob threw his car keys up, and caught them mid-air. The yellow rabbit foot on the keychain swung back and forth before Jacob put his keys. It perfectly matched the yellow converse he had stolen, and the dyed ends of my brown hair. Yellow was the Forsman color. It used to just be Jacob's thing, but what could I say? I liked taking things that weren't mine.

We still had, like, a whole mile to walk until we got to the front doors, but lucky for us, the side doors were unlocked.

We took a right through the art hallway, and through the "emergency" door; the door that only groaned when you open it. We'd probably know by now if it actually called the cops, since we'd been using it for years.

"Ah, fresh air," Jacob said. "How I've missed you."

"It smells like weed."

"So? It always smells like weed."

"Yeah, but you just said the air was fresh," I explained. We walked into the teacher's parking lot, where Jacob had parked his car. "This is diluted air, at best."

"Why the fuck does it matter?"

"It matters because you're wrong."

Jacob unlocked his side of the car, and got in. I pulled the handle to the passenger door, but it wouldn't budge. Jacob looked at me smugly from the inside.

"Open the door!" I shouted, knocking on the window.

"Take it back, then."

"Why would I do that?"

"Because Principal Fuckface is walking towards us, and he looks pissed that we're back here."

I looked back at the side entrance, and saw that he was right. The wretched man was coming right at me, a cigarette hanging down from his mouth.