"Maybe those ends are dead for a reason." Ruby said quietly.

"The trail is there," I argued.

"But you haven't found anything, how can there be a trail when you haven't found anything?" Ruby wanted me to give her something to believe in.

"If Miah was dead Ruby don't you think I would know? Miah and I have been connected since she was conceived. Our bond has only grown over the years."

"Your right baby, I don't feel like she's gone either. Sometimes I need reassuring that you're not putting yourself in harm's way behind a fool's errand." 

"It's getting late. I promise I'll check in with you next week. I love you Ruby, please don't neglect yourself."

"I love you too and I promise to look after myself as well as your parents, long as you do the same."

"That's all I ask. Bye Ruby."

"Bye."

After I hung up I sat on the porch for the next hour. I brought my knees up to my chest and shoved my hands deep into the pockets of my jacket. I felt the familiar reassurance of the card the unknown man on the beach had given me. I hoped A. Rodriguez had the answers I was looking for. He was the only move I had left.

Headlights glowed brightly on the path to the bungalow. The resort's car pulled in front of the house and killed the engine. Donovan exited the car and approached the porch. Over the past six months Donovan had become invaluable to me. Everything I needed was attained by him no matter how big the request, he always came through.

"How's everything?" I asked.

"There has been a change of plans. You're going to have to leave tomorrow morning." Donovan said, dispensing with pleasantries.

"That was not the agreement."

"Captain Calice has to disappear from the island ASAP. He is still agreeing to take you, but you have to be at the Port of Clifton Point at four a. m. tomorrow morning."  Donovan explained calmly.

"Well I have no choice, then," I said, standing to lean against one of the wooden columns on the porch. "It took us long enough to find him. I don't have time to look for anyone else. Tell Captain Calice I'll be there at four a.m. Has the package been loaded properly?"

"Everything is taken care of."

"Good. Will I be seeing you tomorrow before I leave Donovan?"

"Yes, I've secured a truck big enough to load your motorcycle, so I'll drive it over in the morning. Transportation will not be one of your worries when you reach your destination."

"Thank you, Donovan."

He nodded his head and headed back to the car. "I will be here at three, Kayla," Donovan said before getting into the car.

I waved in reply and turned to go inside. In the bungalow, I began to pack, throwing some things in a bag, without paying too much attention to the details. Since my belongings were sparse it didn't really matter what I wore, long as I could move the way I needed. After I finished packing, I took a shower and climbed into bed. Soon as I closed my eyes exhaustion took me under.

                                                                         *****                   

"Nikayla, are you awake? Of course you are." A voice whispered beside my ear. I tried to open my eyes but the effort only exhausted me more.

"Nikayla, I've heard you've been looking for me. Hasn't anyone ever told you, in order to look for a ghost you have to become one? I'm here to warn you." I began to claw at the sheets, attempting to sit up. "No princess, do not struggle. It'll only make the effects from the drug that much stronger. Just relax and listen."

"My associates do not like the attention you are bringing them. Your questions will be the death of you. Let her go, Nikayla. She has a different life now. Continuing to look for her will only put that life in jeopardy."

As I fought to open my eyes, the weight which weighed down my bed lifted. Panic, over ran my mind, driving back the fog precipitated by the drug. If I didn't open my eyes in the next second the voice would be gone. I opened one eye. The room was cloaked in shadows but I was able to make out a man. The same man who had alluded me for six months in the light of day had now come to me like the prince of darkness.

"Caleb," My voice came out in a harsh whisper.

He turned, and then placed a finger to his lips. "Shh."

                                                             *****

The screeching sound of my alarm clock drove me from my drug induced sleep. I slowly rose from the bed feeling dizzy and nauseous. As I held onto the bedpost to steady myself, it all came rushing back to me. Was it a dream? Had Caleb really been here? In my bed room? It couldn't have been a dream. I still smelled the heady scent of his expensive cologne taunting me of his presence. The bastard had drugged me. What the hell had he given me?  I went to the bathroom to splash cold water on my face and to prepare for my trip.

By the time I was finished readying myself I heard Donavon's knock on the door. We pulled in the port forty five minutes later. We walked down the peer to what looked to be a monstrous yacht.

"For appearance, the local authorities tend to look over vessels such as this," Donavon said, in explanation.

On the yacht an eccentric dark skinned man appeared at the railing of the boat. He was wearing a white leisure suit with sandals and a diamond earring in his left ear the size of a golf ball. When he smiled down at us and his teeth twinkled with platinum and diamonds.

"Right on schedule I was just getting ready to shove off." A beautiful woman with long dark hair which pooled around her waist, wearing nothing but a powdered blue negligee walked up and slipped her arms around the man.

"We are fifteen minutes early." Donovan replied.

"As I said before monsieur, right on schedule." Laughter then bubbled from his lips.

"Kayla, this is Jackson Calice, and Jackson this is Kayla." Donavon said.

"What no last name mademoiselle? Oh the mystery drives me wild." Jackson said as he leaned over the rail with a devilish smile on his face.

Ignoring him I turned to Donovan. "This is for you. Thank you for all of your help." I told him while sliding the envelope into his pocket.

"No I cannot accept-"

"Yes you can," I replied, shaking my head as I pushed the envelope away when he tried to hand it back.

"Thank you Kayla." He said.

"Let's get moving shall we. A local official has not taken kindly to me taking liberties with his wife," Jackson called down as his eyes danced with excited madness.

Kayla shook her head, as her lids slipped closed. Maybe she should've found another boat.