Chapter Thirteen - Discovery

Start from the beginning

I shake my arm out of his hold, no matter how good it felt, and walk to the mat area. I'm stopped yet again by Leonardo, this time with his hands on both of my shoulders, stopping me in place.

"Come on. Evelyn and Ruby have got something planned."

"They do?"

"You won't know if you don't come."

Leonardos pointed look has a defeated sigh passing through my lips. I want to train; I want to get better, but that won't happen with his distracting presence standing in defense with a mission. I haven't seen Evelyn and Ruby in two days, I kept sneaking in and out to avoid them – their sympathy and overwhelming care would send me over the edge. I still wasn't used to it.

"I really have to go?" I ask, meeting his eye.

"You really do," Leonardo smiles. "Imagine, a girls night. The horrors."  

I laugh quietly, the muscles pulling in my face in a way I haven't felt in a while. Shoving his shoulder with my own, I put away the rest of my equipment quickly with Leonardo's help before making my way up the ramp. He walks behind me, his presence oddly reassuring. Nevertheless, I still send the two-remaining people in defense a jealous look as we turn the corner.

"Stop looking at them longingly. This will be good." Leonardo reassures.

"Better be. If not, I'll come and find you to suffer through the awkward silences with me."

"Please do."

Leonardo's sarcastic tone has me rolling my eyes with a breathless laugh. I don't need to turn around to know that he's grinning.

"Why would it be awkward, though? I thought you were friends with them." Leonardo says as we make it into the main entrance. Our steps fall into sync as we move through the crowds of people coming out of the canteen.

"We are," I insist. "I just tend to avoid people who will overwhelm me with reassuring speeches."

"You would rather wallow in your defeat?" Leonardo asks, glancing to the side at me.

"Exactly." I smile at him.

"Healthy," He drawls, stopping in front of my door with suspicious familiarity. "Enjoy your girls night."

"You're the-"

"-Best," Leonardo interrupt. "I know."

He walks off after his quick comeback with a smile on his face. I watch his broad shoulders guide him through the crowds of people before shaking my head and pushing into the room.

Leonardo's presence distracted me from the awkward situation I was about to walk into. My breath catches with a hitch as I take in our room. Bowls sit on the floor and the lamp is on, casting the room in a glow. The window is covered, enclosing us in a comforting warmth.

I look away from my observation of the room to spot Evelyn and Ruby sitting on the bed looking at me expectantly. Evelyn smirks at my rare nervous exterior but Ruby isn't deterred. She bounds towards me with a grin.

"I knew he would get you here!" She laughs.

"I doubted him." Evelyn admits, walking towards me slowly.

I tilt my head at both of them, trying to crack their discreet code. "Huh?"

"Leo. I've deemed him as your weak spot." Ruby explains, guiding me to the middle of the room where we sit on the floor. I cross my legs and shiver at the coldness of it but my curiosity takes my mind off it.

"He's definitely not my weak spot." I lie, knowing he, more than anyone, has managed to make me do what they want. I rarely ever do what somebody wants me to do, so I'm still figuring out what it is about him that throws me off.