"You have been cold towards me this past few weeks, Mateo. I really need to know why." She stated matter of factly, not beating around the bush. I looked at her and mustered a sarcastic smirk.

"Really? I haven't noticed." I replied with sarcasm laced in my voice and she looked at me with disbelief.

"Are you kidding me? You haven't noticed? I can even sense the sarcasm in your voice so don't play dumb with me." She was very calm and it was pretty irritating because I wanted her to snap at me so that I would be justified if I snap at her as well.

Yah mad! My subconscious told me.

"Okay, I'm avoiding you, so what? I have every right to be upset here not you, so don't come here and try guilt tripping me into avoiding you because that won't work." I closed my note and started to stuff things in my bag. I heard her sigh in frustration.

"I am not trying to guilt trip you. I don't even know what I did. That's why I'm here. I want to find out and if you are not going to tell me there is no way I'd be able to know and there is no way I would be able to make amends. Isn't that what you said the last time? We are no mind readers." She said, trying to reason with me but the hurt I was feeling inside made it hard for me to reason with her. I looked at her.

"What you did is way too deep to overlook, Skye. This is the reason why I didn't want to get attached. I knew it would be nothing but bad news." I told her and her brows furrowed in confusion.

"I don't understand you, Mateo. What did I do? Just tell me! I thought we were way pass this." She cried in frustration. I locked my jaw as the words of Jamal came flooding back to my memory.

...She told me she feels the need to help you, to stay by you because we are just very much alike...

...I guess the fact that she has spent years taking care of me makes it easy for her to take care of you...

"You want to know what you did? Fine. Let me ask you a question. Why the sudden interest in me?" I asked her and her brows furrowed again in confusion.

"I don't understand your question." She replied and I let out a snotty humourless laughter.

"Of course you don't understand. Well, let me answer that question for you, Skye and I'm going to use the words you told Jamal. You only felt the need to help me because I am just like him." I told her, watching to see her reaction, at least something that would give me a benefit of doubt. But when her eyes widened in realization, my heart ache increased and I scoffed.

"Mateo, that's not what I meant when I said that." She defended and I sneered.

"How convenient." I muttered, slinging my back pack over my shoulder and walking past her. She can have my reading spot for all I care.

"Mateo." She grabbed my hand and turned me around and I calmly removed my hand from hers. "You are misunderstanding this. I didn't mean it that way, I just needed to get Jamal off my back." She retained but I wasn't even hearing that. I was hurt.

"Now it all makes so much sense. You have always seen me as a charity case. That's why you were so interested in being the closest person to me." I growled out and she shook her head vigorously.

"Of course not! This is wrong. This is all wrong. That wasn't my intention, Mateo. You are misunderstanding the whole situation. Please just listen to me." She pleaded, tears brimming in her eyes. I didn't want to see that, I didn't want to see her crying. I would break my resolve. I shook my head.

"That's not exactly convincing Skye. I appreciate all you did. You changed me...but your motive, it really hurt me." I told her and walked pass her.