Chapter 2 "Hereditary"

*Kenzie's P.O.V.*

The triplets were only a few hours old. Everything was going well until Nate began to have breathing problems. I do vaguely remember Dr. Jonas telling Nat and I about him having difficulty with some things, but he said that they weren't major or anything. The matter of the fact was, I was terrified! I didn't want to lose my baby. Not after we lost our daughter, five years ago.

I was stuck in bed holding Shane and Jason, panicking. "What's wrong with my baby?!"

"Babe, calm down!" Nat reassured me. "He'll be okay. Nate will be just fine, I promise."

"I just want to know what's going on!" I told him.

Nat brought me into a hug and I sobbed into his chest. Before I knew it, Shane and Jason started to cry and I had to comfort them all at the same time. 

"I-I'm sorry, baby..," I say softly in between tears to Jason.

Nat took Shane and rocks him gently in his arms. "They miss their brother."

"I know," I said. "I just want him to be okay. I don't want to lose him!"

"Our boys are tough," Nat says, giving me a kiss. "They're strong, just like their Mama."

I let out a sigh and held Jason closer to me. 

It took over an hour to revive Nate. Dr. Jonas said that he had an enlarged heart on one side and that he needed to be in the NICU for a while. As he was telling Nat and I all of this, I felt like I had this massive ringing in my ear that just wouldn't go away and a pounding headache. Everything just felt so surreal and I just couldn't wrap anything around my head at this point. I completely zoned out until I felt Nat put his hand on my leg. 

"What do you think, baby?" Nat asked.

I glanced up at him in confusion. "Huh?"

"Nate needs emergency surgery," He said. "If he doesn't get it now, then his chances of survival will be risky."

"Do it," I said, then I turned to Dr. Jonas. "Please, just do whatever you can for him. Anything, please!"

Dr. Jonas nodded. "It's settled, then..," He said. "We will begin right away."

"Can we see him before you take him in?" Nat asked.

"Yes, of course," Dr. Jonas says, leading us to him.

I placed my index finger in Nate's hand and kissed his forehead. "I love you so much, my little man..,"

"Be strong," Nat says, softly. "Your Mama, brothers and I will be waiting for you..,"

More tears streamed down my cheeks as they took my baby away and into surgery. The day of my children's birth didn't go as planned. My pregnancy was already high risk because of my own health complications. I was born with a heart defect. Two holes were in my heart, but I never had any issues with it, and one of them closed up anyway. And now that my own child has a heart issue, I just feel miserable that I passed it down to him. 

As I sat in bed with Shane in my arms, I couldn't help but think about all of what's happened with my pregnancy. Finding out we were expecting five years after losing Kassie had a lot of emotions. Nat and I were excited to have another child, but a part of us was a little scared. We didn't want anything bad to happen.

                                                                     *Nine months earlier.*