Chapter 3 - Harry

So what if he becomes a little obsessed with the book? Zayn’s rushed his coursework the past few days just to get a bit of extra reading in, to learn more about ‘H’. The only thing that saddens him is that he doesn’t learn many new things. Nothing grand that might help him find the boy, any indication that he even lives in this part of the country.

Nothing until a certain chilly morning, just three weeks after he found the diary. It’s Saturday and he hasn’t actually bothered to get out of bed yet, the sheets wrapped around him so comfortably that he’s trying his hardest to convince himself he’s only imagining his stomach rumbling. So he decides to read a bit to distract himself, and the nearest object just happened to be the diary. He flips it open where he stopped last time and starts reading.

Dear diary,

I can finally say I found the best little café there is. After a month of exploring and trying everything I decided that ‘The Den’ is the place to be. Not just because of their delicious coffee and baked goods, but also because of their incredible service. Alright so I’ve only been served by one person. His name was Liam and he seems like a cool bloke – good looking, but not my type. I did see someone else, though. But I felt kind of afraid to approach him. I’ve only seen him two times so far but he always looks so busy and I’m sure I would only bother him.

Oh and Niall’s coming around soon. Can’t wait to see him! I miss my best friend.

-H.

Zayn drops the book on his face and shoots up, scrambles out of his sheets and crawls to the foot of his bed where his hand slips so he face plants to the floor with a painful thud. He rubs his face as he sprints out of his room and nearly slips when he reaches the kitchen where Louis is standing with a bowl of cereal and raised eyebrows, looking at Zayn like he’s lost his mind.

‘’The Den!’’ Zayn nearly shouts, arms raised like he’s just crossed the finish line and won first place in a race. Louis just tilts his head and gives him a curious look before realisation hits him and he places his bowl on the counter top.

‘’You know where to find him?’’ he asks, while Zayn composes himself and sits down on his chair – the rickety one that’s just perfect for balancing on the two back legs. There are feelings of euphoria washing over him and he can’t quite explain the other feelings that go with it but he’s bouncing and suddenly so awake that he wants to sing and greet the birds and-

‘’Mate, calm down,’’ Louis laughs, grabbing his bowl again and shoving a spoonful of cereal in his mouth which is probably soggy by the looks of his scrunched up face. Zayn just nods and places his hands on his knees to still himself.

‘’So he likes to go to The Den, which means he- He might even go to the same school! Oh my God, Lou! Do you know what this means?’’ Zayn is having trouble containing his excitement but his best friend only nods slowly and with the slightest disinterest.

‘’It means you can finally ask him out on a date,’’ Louis says, placing his bowl in the sink and facing Zayn as he leans against their countertop. There’s a moment in which Zayn nods, bright smile plastered on his face – only for it to be erased the next.

‘’Shit,’’ Zayn says, because it’s true. Along with finally discovering that ‘H’ probably lives nearby, he found out that the guy’s into blokes. Which is incredibly convenient because Zayn happened to like him. A lot. He only just realised that.