Chapter 1 - Mail and Goblins

The day started out just as normal for her as every other day did, she got out of her cupboard under the stairs, she made breakfast for her Aunts family all the while waiting until they were done eating before she could even take a bite of the small amounts that are left for her.

"Get the mail Dudley." Uncle Vernon says gruffly to his son dressed in his Smeltings grub.

"Make Harriett get it." Her cousin whines with a big pout.

"Harriett, get the mail."

With a quiet sigh Harriett rolls her eyes, gets up from her seat and goes towards the door, she bends down and picks them up carefully.

She looks through them curiously as she makes her way back to the kitchen.

"Hurry up girl." she hears her Uncle say loudly, she holds in another sigh of annoyance. She can only walk so fast with her small legs ya know?

When she sees a letter for her in the mail she frowns and tucks it in the back of her pants and covers it with her very oversized clothes.

She cautiously walks into the kitchen with the mail and hands it over to her uncle. Harriet stands patiently at the side of the table with her hands clasped behind her back with her head bowed waiting to be dismissed, she so badly wants to read her letter.

"Marge is ill" her Uncle Vernon says with a huff.

"May I be excused please?" Harriet asks politely in hopes of getting away sooner, she really really wants to see what's in her letter, she's never gotten one before.

Her Aunt Petunia lets out a sigh of annoyance, she must get that from her Aunt then. "You may be dismissed Harriet" she says before Uncle Vernon can answer.

Harriet slowly, as to not be suspicious heads towards her cupboard under the stairs, after she enters she looks at the letter a few moments longer and let's out a sigh, perhaps it's a relative?

She can only hope, she carefully opens the letter and unfolds its contents with a frown as she sees in fancy writing. . .

                     HOGWARTS SCHOOL
           of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

              Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore
    (Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc.,          
          Chf. Warlock, supreme Mugwump,      
           International Confed. of Wizards)

Dear Miss. Potter,
      We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed list of all necessary books and equipment.
       Term begins on September 1. We await your owl by no later then July 31.
Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall

Minerva McGonagall,
Deputy Headmisstress.

Harriett wasn't sure if this was a really bad prank or if it was real, she did set a Boa Constructor on her cousin by accident and there were times she could do things that she shouldn't have been able to do in the first place.

She supposes that she will be needing to ask Aunt Petunia and her Uncle Vernon if they wouldn't mind taking her to this Uh, where was it?

The page that mentions the supplies mentions a Diagon Alley, wherever that is, what an odd name,

Hesitantly I leave my cupboard and go back into the kitchen. They all stop talking then and I silently hand the sheet to Aunt Petunia.