Chapter 4: The Paintings

Start from the beginning

NO. No way! This wasn’t right. She shook her head defiantly. She knew better than to judge people based on their looks. For all she knew, Devon Grey could have been some teenage serial killer sought after by the FBI. Just because someone had ridiculously good looks didn’t mean they were they same attractive person on the inside. Of course she would know.

But then again, he seemed pretty nice to her in the halls…

No… you can’t trust someone based on 20 seconds of conversation…

The two sides of her brain were having a subconscious argument. Her logic was telling her to stay away from his guy, but some other voice in her head lusted after those killer eyes of his and that perfect sculpted body…

Devon’s eyes briefly scanned the room for a place to sit, and his gaze fell on her. He opened his mouth as if to speak, then closed it again.

He stared walking, slowly, unsure of where to go, where to sit. Everyone seemed eager to have him sit with them. People were hustling, clearing spaces on tables, and scooting over on benches to make room for him.

Skyla didn’t move, but out of the corner of her eye, she could see Allie clearing a space beside her.

He looked uncomfortable with all the attention he was getting; uncomfortable, and slightly annoyed, but not at all surprised.

Finally, he took a spot on the other side of the cafeteria, just about as far from her table as physically possible.

Skyla sighed and forced a little smile, feigning relief, as if she couldn’t care less where he sat. But it was a lie. She never would have admitted it of course, but a tiny part of her was disappointed.

Near her, someone grumbled. Allie was one person who wasn’t afraid to voice what she thought. Arms crossed across her body, she slouched against the table and put her head down dramatically.

Skyla rolled her eyes, but smiled and put her arms around her friend pulling her into a quick hug. Allie was always quite the drama queen.

“Oh come on Allie, he’s just another guy,”

“Yeah, but I don’t get it, he totally looked this way! He completely made eye-contact! Look, now he’s sitting all the way over there at her table!”

By “her”, Allie meant Megan. She was pretty and blonde, but always seemed to have this look on her face, like she smelt some kind of putrid odour. As co-captain cheerleader, Megan thought she was queen of the world. She was always surrounded by her posse of minions; her mini-me’s basically. 

Megan was one of the only people that Allie didn’t get along with.

Skyla rolled her eyes again. She tried her best to stay out of high-school drama like this. She’d barely spoken 10 words to Megan all year; yet, the girl still seemed to despise her all the same.

She glanced in the direction of where Megan sat.

She was sitting as close to Devon as physically possible. Any closer and she would have been on his lap. She flipped her over-processed blonde hair over her shoulder and smiled smugly.  A hint of jealousy sparked inside of Skyla, but she shook it away. Ugh, they looked like they were a couple already. Of course, the new, hot, guy with the popular snotty cheerleader. It was just inevitable wasn’t it? He was just like everyone else, every other guy out there. Devon caught her looking and Skyla immediately turned away.

Allie looked disgusted at just the mention of Megan. She flipped her hair over her shoulder, pouted and batted her eye lashes, imitating Megan’s signature flirting techniques.