3. Yorozu-chan

Yorozu Deposit Company. That was definitely what the sign out front of the warehouse-like building said. The way it was in gold relief was extravagant to the point that it seemed slightly tasteless.

Haruhiro had made it there without getting lost, so that put him in a bit better of a mood. The problem was, he was still famished. If he didn't get his money changed here, rush back to the skewer seller, and chow down on some nice meat skewers, he was going to die.

Entering through the front door, he reached an open hall with a counter at the end of some stone steps. A short line had formed at the counter. He got in line, waited, and soon enough someone called, "Next!" and it was Haruhiro's turn.

Across the counter from him was a massive leather chair, and, in complete contrast to its size, there was a girl of about ten plopped down on it, sitting there boldly. Wearing a gaudy red and white outfit accented with gold, she had gold-rimmed glasses, a golden pipe on top of that, and an attitude to match.

"Hmm," the girl held the pipe in her mouth, taking a puff as she scrutinized Haruhiro. "You're a new face. Is this your first time here?"

"Yes..." he replied, feeling somewhat pitiful. To think he'd have to be so polite to a little girl. Haruhiro cleared his throat. "It's my first time here, so..."

"From the look of you, I'd say you're a volunteer soldier trainee. I see. A newbie, huh." The girl slapped her raised thigh. "I am the Yorozu. The fourth Yorozu. As has been customary for the Yorozu, I know my clients' names, faces, balances, and transaction histories by heart. There is nothing the Yorozu cannot remember. Still, I do keep a ledger, because others are not blessed with the Yorozu's good memory. Allow me to enter you into the ledger at once. You, what is your name?"

"Ah... I'm Haruhiro."

"I see." The Yorozu leaned forward, opened the ledger book on the counter, and wrote something in it with a feather pen. "—There. Now, you may make deals with the Yorozu Deposit Company." When he took a peek at the ledger, Haruhiro saw his own name written in a beautiful flowing script across a nearly blank page. Raising his eyes, he saw the Yorozu's face up close. She was short, but she couldn't actually be ten years old. Maybe she was a little older than that. When he looked closer, disregarding her bizarre apparel, she had a well-defined nose, blue eyes that reminded him of fine glasswork, and plump red lips. She was quite the young beauty.

"What?" She made a sour face and turned to the side. "The Yorozu's face is not something to be gawked at, insolent one."

"Ah, sorry."

"I will say this for your benefit," the Yorozu said, pointing her pipe at Haruhiro's face. "The fourth Yorozu is young, but flawless as a Yorozu. Should you show me disrespect, you will pay for it dearly. You would do well to remember that. Also, Haruhiro, I shall remember you henceforth as the insolent one."

"...I'd really rather you forgot that."

"Impossible. The Yorozu is a Yorozu, and so I cannot forget. If I were to forget, the Yorozu would have to cede the Yorozu position to the next Yorozu. Such is the code of the Yorozu."

"It sounds... kinda tough, being a Yorozu," Haruhiro said, looking around the hall. Perhaps by coincidence, Haruhiro was the only customer at the moment. He didn't see anyone who looked like an employee, either. "...Could it be that you run the deposit company by yourself?"

"Of course not. The Yorozu is the symbol of this company, as well as its chairperson and president. For the transportation of items and money, appraisals, warehouse management, and other duties, we employ a large number of clerks and apprentices. Do you know what sort of business this company does?"