A Negotiation Between a Saxon and Danes

Start from the beginning

We were childhood best friends. As we grew into our early teen years we trained in combat together and practiced our fighting skills.

And later on, into our late teens we were very found of each other and developed an obvious attraction to one another. But nothing ever became serious between us, even though we felt quite strongly for each other. That one summer when we realized our love for one another, we had discovered it too late. I unfortunately had to leave Earl Ragnar's estate with my father, and I never got to see Uhtred again after that... not until now.

I guess you could say Uhtred and I have a history... one I feel always was unfinished. I wonder if he also feels the same.

King Alfred looks from Uhtred to me. "Well, I gather that you all already know each other. I can not say that I am surprised." He then says.

King Alfred speaks again. He directs his full attention back to myself, my father and Ubba. "Welcome, Ubba and Guthrum, and..." he slowly trails in confusion, looking at me. He did not expect my arrival and has yet to meet me for the very first time. So I introduce myself, obviously annoyed of course.

"Y/n." I state coldly. "My name is Y/n, daughter of Guthrum." I say.

I take a step closer to Alfred, who stands firmly at this thrown. I can tell my sudden movement has made him uncomfortable. I smirk. "So, shall we negotiate then?" I add. "That is what we are here for is it not?" I remind.

My father Guthrum now steps forward and stands beside me. He gives me a look to back off slightly and I roll my eyes, crossing my arms over my chest in surrender.

Alfred clears his throat and nods. "Yes, we shall begin." He chimes.

Alfred begins to talk and mumble, mainly speaking with both Guthrum and Ubba. I drown out the conversation as I stare at Uhtred across from me. Uhtred looks back and forth from Alfred to my father. His blue eyes sparkle and dance back and forth.

I examine him carefully. Uhtred is much taller now. His figure is well built and he looks so much stronger. His facial features are less soft from what I remember, and are more prominent and rugged. My teenage lover is very much grown up now and he is extremely handsome with age.

A shiver runs down my spine when I realize that he has caught me staring. My cheeks turn a slight pink in embarrassment. I look away to evert my gaze to anything or anyone but Uhtred. Though, I can still feel his eyes staring and burning through my skin.

I shake away thoughts of Uhtred and focus on the negotiation. My thoughts of Uhtred will have to wait for the moment.

"I am simply asking that you and all of your men leave Wessex in peace." Alfred finishes, looking directly to my father.

Guthrum and Ubba look to each other and laugh. My father responds, "Peace? You wish for us to leave Wessex without a fight?" He laughs.

"Why would we ever do that?" Ubba speaks out with a chuckle leaving his lips.

Alfred hesitates before he answers. "I am willing to pay you a very large sum." He trails. "That is if we can come to a negotiation between us both." He clarifies.

"We will not be bought." I reply boldly, interrupting and gaining the King's attention.

I hear the deep voice of Uhtred speak next. Looking over to me he says, "It's a large amount of silver. An offer you will want to take." He assures.

It almost breaks my heart that Uhtred is standing on the side of Alfred. He wears clothing like a Dane, but he can't fool me.

He once told me that his heart was fully Dane, but now he fights for the Saxon people, and in doing so has abandoned his own people who had raised him.