Ch. 23

I spent my night resting and the next day came quickly. I was scared but I also knew that I needed to do this. I had gathered the ingredients in my room informing Severus of my plan. He was reluctant but eventually saw that I wanted to do it and so he let me. I exited my room heading to the great hall for lunch trying to ignore my nerves. When I entered the great hall I heard my name being called. I looked over seeing Danielle waving brightly at me. I walked over to her sitting in the open seat next to her. Unlike most of the Professors the students seemed to be fine with my presence. Most Professors couldn't just sit with students and be welcomed like I was. Pretty sure it's because I'm really young and the 'cool' teacher.

"What's up Danielle?" I asked her as she looked at me.

"I was wondering when we were going back to your house," she asked as I grinned.

"Probably not until the holidays unfortunately," I told her. "I'm glad you want to see the family again."

"They were all really nice like you said Isabelle," she said as I nodded.

"They were very accepting of me for the most part before they knew who I was. Their only concern was the uncertainty of my blood status," I said as she nodded.

"Why does blood status matter?" She asked as I bit my lip trying to come up with an answer for her.

"Purebloods have a lot of magic and Muggleborns have shown that most don't possess that same level apart from a select few. It worries purebloods that 'tainting' their line with people who aren't pure will weaken the next generation," I said softly. "I feel bad for Muggleborns but it is a fact that most don't possess the same level of magic."

"That's why they treated you different at first?" She asked as I nodded.

"They were worried that I was going to date Draco which wasn't the case. Draco and I always acted like brother and sister before we even knew that's what we were," I told her. "He's my best friend."

"I wish I had a sibling," she frowned as I hugged her briefly.

"You have people who are like siblings to you. You have Eric and Brie," I stated as her smile returned.

"True," she said as my eyes met Dane's. I sucked in a sharp breath as we stared at each other from across the room before I broke eye contact. I was still so angry with him but I also felt guilty that we fought. I wanted to talk to him but at the same time I wanted to avoid him. I kept my attention on Danielle pushing Dane to the back of my mind. It worked for awhile until I felt a tap on my shoulder.

"Professor Malfoy, may I speak with you?" Dane asked as my blue eyes met his brown eyes. I could see a similar pain in his eyes, we both regretted the fight on some level.

"Sure thing," I said turning briefly back to Danielle. "I'll see you later." I said before I got up. I motioned for Dane to take the lead. We walked in silence and soon we were outside standing by Black Lake.

"Are you still doing it?" He asked not looking at me and instead staring into the murky depths of the lake.

"I am. It's the best way and you know it," I said my voice cracking as sadness filled me. I could feel his anger rolling off him as I spoke. "Please don't hate me." I whispered as he whipped around to me his lips crashing against mine. I froze as a warmth filled me swirling with the confusion within my body. He pulled back his dark eyes serious as he spoke.

"I could never hate you Isa," he said as I just looked up at him trying to process the roller coaster of emotions that just hit me.

"I'm scared," I said finally breaking down enough to let him in. I have this habit of keeping my weakness hidden and now I was sharing it with Dane. "I'm terrified of the spell but the thing is I'm more scared of losing those I care about that I'm willing to face this spell."

"You really are going to do this no matter if I agree," he said holding my hand in his tightly. I gave a small nodded as he sighed. "Then I guess I'm going with you." My jaw dropped as he said those words.

"Are you sure? I have no idea what is going to happen when I cast the spell tonight," I told him as he nodded.

"I'm here with you, no matter what," he said causing heat to fill the space between us. I couldn't believe he would support my decision like this when he didn't agree with me at all.

"Thank you," I told him firmly. "I know you think that I'm making a mistake but thank you for going with it anyway," I said as he gave me a soft smile. He reached up caressing my cheek.

"We may not always agree but I will always be here for you, whatever you need," he said as my breath caught in my chest. Was this what love feels like? I wanted to spit out the words I love you but I had never felt a romantic love before and I didn't want to say it before it was true so instead I pressed my lips to his letting his touch send a fire across my body. His hands rested on my hips as I wound my arms around his neck.

This moment felt so right in so many ways I never wanted it to end but I knew it would have to because I needed to finish getting ready for the spell tonight. After a few more seconds I pulled away giving him a smile.

"I need to go get ready for the spell but if you still want to be there when I cast it come to the edge of the forbidden forest around 10," I said before I rushed off not giving him a chance to say anything else.