78 || Flight to Freedom

Start from the beginning

Harry was also standing at the top of the marble steps. Katie shuffled over to him.

"What's going on?" she asked, but he merely shrugged unknowingly.

"So!" Umbridge said triumphantly. Katie realised that she was standing only a few steps in front of her, looking down at Fred and George. "So — you think it amusing to turn a school corridor into a swamp, do you?"

"Pretty amusing, yeah." Fred shrugged nonchalantly, looking up at her without the slightest sign of fear.

Filch elbowed his way closer to Umbridge, almost crying with happiness.

"I've got the form, Headmistress," he announced, waving around a piece of parchment. "The Approval for Whipping form, and I've got the whips waiting... oh, let me do it now..."

"Very good, Argus," Umbridge smiled evilly. "You two," she went on, gazing down at Fred and George, "are about to learn what happens to wrongdoers at my school."

"You know what?" Fred said. "I don't think we are," Fred turned to his twin. "George, I think we've outgrown full-time education."

"Yeah, I've been feeling that way myself." George responded lightly.

"Time to test our talents in the real world, d'you reckon?" Fred asked.

"Definitely." George nodded.

And before Umbridge could stop them, they raised their wands and said together, "Accio brooms!"

There was a loud crash somewhere in the distance. Fred and George's broomsticks, the ones that Umbridge had confiscated, hurtled down the marble staircase and stopped sharply in front of the twins.

"We won't be seeing you." Fred told Umbridge, swinging his leg over his broom.

"Yeah, don't bother to keep in touch." George added, also mounting his broom.

Fred looked around at the assembled, silent crowd.

"If anyone fancies buying a Portable Swamp, as demonstrated upstairs, come to number ninety three, Diagon Alley — Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes. Our new premises!"

"Special discounts to any Hogwarts students who swears they're going to use our products to get rid of this old bat." George said, pointing at Professor Umbridge.

"STOP THEM!" Umbridge shrieked, but it was too late. Fred and George kicked off from the ground, shooting fifteen feet into the air, reaching into their pockets for handfuls of what could only be fireworks. Fred looked across the Hall at Peeves the Poltergeist, who was bobbing on his level above the crowd.

"Give her hell from us, Peeves."

And Peeves, who Katie had never seen take an order from a student before, swept his belled hat from his head and sprang to a salute, there was a great bang and flash of fireworks, and Fred and George wheeled about to tumultuous applause from the students below and sped out of the open doors into the glorious sunset.

***

The story of Fred and George's flight to freedom was the only thing that anyone talked about over the next few days, and Katie was sure it would soon become a Hogwarts legend that would be told to each generation.

On Saturday evening, Katie strolled through the grounds down to Hagrid's hut. Harry, Ron and Hermione had been to visit him the weekend before and told Katie that he had asked to see her. As she drew nearer to the cabin, she was not surprised to see smoke billowing from the chimney. She approached the door and knocked thrice, making Fang bark wildly inside. There was a sound of heavy footsteps and the door swung open.