A New Neighbor

"As he read, I fell in love with the way you fall asleep," I spoke aloud as I read from the book in my hand. "Slowly, and then all at once." I had thought I was alone in my backyard at first when I said that. But to my dismay, I wasn't, as I heard a snort from the stone wall against the once empty house next door. I had somehow failed to notice the moving truck that pulled up not long ago until I was pulled from my fiction world of The Fault In Our Stars, that is. I glared into the direction of the wall to see who dared to draw me from the glorious tale of Hazel and Augustus. But soon all of my thoughts of the book faded as I saw her, this girl was beautiful. She had this long black hair pulled back into a ponytail, a long sleeved shirt with some rock band logo, and this smirk that made my heart flutter, but what was most amazing was her eyes. She had heterochromia which gave her one violet and one green iris. It was incredible.

"So you just gonna gawk at me or are you gonna say something, Star Kid?" She said, finally pulling me from my thoughts. I felt that blush begin to burn on my face at the nickname she called me.

"D-don't call me that." I finally managed to stammer out, but it was so pitiful it would have been better if I had stayed silent.

"Aww, Star Kid doesn't like his nickname? Guess that's too bad, cause I do and I think it suits you perfectly, Mr. I read romance novels aloud in my backyard."

"What's it to you what I do in my backyard? Last I checked I can do as I damn well please on my own property, you weird-eyed freak."

I didn't mean that but I just sort of blurted it out. I couldn't stop thinking of her eyes and how amazing they were. But then I noticed that my words clearly stung her. She was probably really sensitive about her eyes and I insulted them without thinking. I could care less whether my insult made me a bad person or not, but I did care that I had hurt the girl, even if she was kinda bitchy. But as I turn to apologize to her, I find that the girl is gone. Great now I'm either gonna have to go next door or feel guilty for the rest of the day.

I make my way next door because after about an hour of the guilt eating away at me I got sick of it. I stand at the door contemplating knocking and when I do finally build up the courage to knock the door opens. Standing there is the girl who looked surprised to see me.

"What do you want, Star Kid?" She asked turning to an almost monotone voice but there was the slightest hint of sadness there.

"I came to apologize. I never should have insulted you, especially considering you are new to the neighborhood."

"Don't think too much about it, Star Kid. I've been called far worse and I'm pretty numb to it by now."

I couldn't help but feel sympathy for her. I knew she must have been bullied because of her unique difference but to be numb to insults. That's a different kind of hurting and clearly she was feeling it. But what was the root of it all?

"Well, I'm just about to go out so if you don't mind moving out of my way? Yeah, that would be great." She said in a way like she was trying to get away from her house. She pushed past me but that didn't stop me from following

"Sorry about that. My name is Adam Ciderfield by the way. What about you? Do you have a name or are you just the girl next door?"

"Vienna, Vienna Slider. Anyway, I think I like calling you Star Kid but Adam is a nice name. So do you mind telling me why you are following me?"

"Well I honestly don't know but you did seem a little lonely. You looked like you could use a friend and well here I am."

"Well if you're going to be here then I suppose you can show me around town or something like that. After all, I was going out to look around town."

"I guess I could show you the town. Well, follow me then."

"Lead the way, Star Kid."