"What's so funny about it?" Rin asked, tilting his head to the side in confusion.

"You shouldn't mock someone else's ambition, Shima." [Y/n] added, shaking his head in disappointment. Bon's goal was near unachievable in reality but if it pushed him forward then [Y/n] said believe in it wholeheartedly.

"The whole thing about Bon and why he's so intense is because he wants to restore our temple. It was completely ruined after The Blue Night." Koneko explained, moving his hands as he spoke.

"'Blue Night'? What's that?" Rin asked, repeating the words with a raised eyebrow. All three boys instantly whipped their heads toward him with looks of complete and utter bewilderment on their faces.

"You don't know about it?" [Y/n] asked, beyond shocked that someone training to be an exorcist had never heard of one of the darkest events in their history. Rin awkwardly shifted his weight from one foot to the other while he glanced away in embarrassment. [Y/n] looked him up and down in confusion before answering. "16 years ago, Satan crossed the barrier from Gehenna to Assiah and massacred a ton of the world's top exorcists. They've called it The Blue Night ever since." He explained and Rin seemed to hang onto every word that he spoke.

"What do you mean massacred?" Rin asked worriedly. [Y/n] scratched the side of his head, thinking back to what he had read about it.

"If the reports I read were right, blue fire and blood shot out of their eyes, noses, ears and mouths as they screamed in agony. After that, they all died." He replied, shuddering at the very thought of a scene like that. Rin audibly gulped at the explanation.

"Blue flames are a sign of Satan." Shima began and [Y/n] noticed Rin flinch ever-so-slightly at the announcement. He realised an eyebrow in confusion but let Shima continue, deciding not to pry. "Our monk, Bon's father, wasn't strong enough to fight back. He just hid in a corner until dawn, praying." He continued and [Y/n] sent a quick glance toward Bon, who was still talking to Tsubaki. "After that night, he finished his training and took over the temple. But folks are still freaked out by what happened, so parishioners stopped coming and, as word got around, even visitors stopped showing up. Next thing you know, people were calling it the 'Cursed Temple'." Shima finished, singing at the end of the little history lesson.

"Shima and I are apprentice monks at Bon's temple." Koneko started, picking up where Shima left off. "We followed him to the academy, thinking that we could become exorcists and restore it to its former glory." He explained and both Rin and [Y/n] nodded in understanding. [Y/n] was really starting to see just how loyal they were to Bon. He knew that they were close friends but he never knew their relationship went this deep.

"Bon's got a full plate. That's why he's so intense. But he's a good guy once you get to know him." Shima assured, putting his hand behind his head while flashing Rin a quick smile.

"The boy from the cursed temple?" Rin muttered under his breath, turning back to look at Bon.

"By the way, why do you want to become an exorcist?" Shima asked, addressing [Y/n]. Rin and Koneko suddenly turned to face him, also interested in his reasoning. "You never mentioned it." Shima added and [Y/n] felt his whole body tense up. His breath caught in his throat and the hairs stuck up on the back of his neck. And Rin seemed to take notice.

"That's personal." [Y/n] replied quietly, feeling his stomach turn at the thought. He really didn't want to go into that story with these three. He just wasn't ready yet. It was a personal matter that he'd rather keep to himself for now. Maybe one day, one at a time, but definitely not here and now. He let his head drop, his gaze focusing on the floor.

"Aww, c'mon, we're all friends here." Shima argued, trying to push for details. [Y/n] didn't reply, he just kept his head down. Konekomaru elbowed Shima, telling him not to push [Y/n] if he wasn't comfortable with it. Rin's mind suddenly flashed back to when [Y/n] and Yukio mentioned that [Y/n]'s parents were dead. Maybe it had something to do with that He wasn't sure but it wasn't like it was his or anyone else's business besides [Y/n]'s.