I was never good at sports

If you feel lonely, I could be lonely with you

Tell me, baby, why do you seem so blue?

Kenma is sitting on the couch, slow tears dripping down his face.

"Why are we so complicated?" He whispers to his phone, the background a picture of Kuroo. "Maybe love is overrated," He sets his phone down and lays back, staring at the ceiling.

I'm tired of waiting! I was never good at sports

Kenma felt sick. 

Sick of not feeling good enough.

Sick of waiting, waiting for Kuroo to come home, waiting to ask him the question he already knew the answer for.

Save the games for the girls on the tennis court

Any time he closes his eyes, that all he can see. Kuroo, his boyfriend, flirting with one of the tennis girls. 

He keeps seeing them get closer.

Closer.

Until the lips that kissed Kenma good morning earlier are pressed onto someone else's.

Say you need me, but lately, you feel unsure

He wasn't stupid, he noticed Kuroo's behavior changing.

The secrets.

Not letting Kenma touch his phone.

Skipping dates.

Coming home late.

Come on to me, come on to me, I need more

Kuroo had insisted on keeping their relationship secret from the start.

It was a red flag, but Kenma was too happy in love to see it.

If you feel broken, promise I won't break your heart

Kuroo promised that he'd love him.

He promised he wouldn't break his heart.

If you shatter, I won't let you fall apart

The door opens, Kuroo walking in and kissing him on the forehead. 

"Hey babe," He's smiling, not at all seeming sorry for what he'd done.

"Why are we so complicated?" Kenma's staring straight ahead, tears brimming in his eyes.

"Kenma- what do you mean? I love y-"

"Love's a word I've always hated," Kenma cuts him off angrily, standing up and looking him in the eyes.

Kuroo gasps at the look in his face. He looks so angry and frustrated. His expression is pained but he's trying to hide it. Tears start to fall but he swipes them away with his hoodie sleeve and continues.

"I'm tired of waiting! I was never good at sports" He tries to put on a smile, but his voice breaks with the emotions. "Save the games for the girls on the tennis court!" He smiles cruelly at Kuroo, faking a happy and upbeat tone, bitterly noting his reaction.

Kuroo steps back slightly, shocked.

"You- you saw that?"

Kenma laughs bitterly.

"Say you need me, but lately, you feel unsure" Kenma steps closer to him, pointing a finger at his chest, pushing Kuroo back. 

Kuroo stumbles backward, tripping over his feet and falling to the ground.

"You're so selfish," Kenma glares down at him, tears still dripping from his eyes.

Come on to me, come on to me, I need more

"Kenma what- I don't understand-"

"It always feels like- I need more" He sniffles slightly "More than me. I was never good enough for you," Kenma starts to walk away from him, turning his back to Kuroo.

"No- Kenma-" Kuroo scrambles to his feet, rushing to the smaller boy, "You- I love you! You've always been good enough! It was just a mistake-" He grabs Kenmas hands but he pushes Kuroo away.

"Jesus Christ you're so confusing!" His hands grip his head, trying to keep himself from falling apart. Desperation cracks his voice as he screams out the words. 

Kuroo steps away, shocked by the outbreak of emotion. 

Kemna's hands slowly leave his head, panting. The tears have stopped falling from his face.

He slowly starts to walk to the door, Kuroo makes no move to stop him anymore.

if we keep score, bet my money that I'm losing

"Goodbye Kuroo," Kenma says, and steps out the door. 

*

*

*

A/N

well then.

sorry/not sorry for writing so much angst.

*leans backwards and slowly falls off the diving board and landing on my back in the water"

byeee

   Alex