13. Rescue

"That'll teach you," I muttered, fending off the last of the slimes which had been following me through the mines for quite some time. I shuddered. It was a particularly rough fight, with four of them teaming up against me. Feeling tired and weak, I decided to turn in for the night. It occurred to me then that I hadn't paid much attention to the time. I reached into my bag to dig out my phone. It was already 9:45.

After checking the time, I noticed I had a missed call from Elliott. To my surprise, I was getting fairly good reception near the entrance of the cave, and I decided to return his call.

"Hello?" he answered.

"Hey, it's just me," I said.

"What are you up to?" he asked.

"I was just calling you back," I explained. "I've been in the mines and the reception's a little choppy, so I didn't notice I had missed your call unti—"

I dropped my phone as I was suddenly struck by a slime I hadn't noticed. I raised my sword to defend myself, but my strength was failing. The slime ran a quick circle around me, covering me in its green goop and impairing my ability to move quickly.

"____?" I heard Elliott's muffled voice over the phone. "Are you okay?"

Before I could answer, the slime slammed into me again, knocking me to the ground.

~

I woke up feeling dizzy and disoriented in a familiar room. The bright fluorescent panel lights above me made my eyes water. I blinked back the tears as I began to come to my senses. I realized I was laying on a cot in Harvey's office, but I couldn't remember how I got there.

"Harvey?" I called, scooting up in bed to lean on my elbows. The sound of frantic footsteps carried through the small crack in the exam room door, but it was not the doctor who stepped through.

"Oh, thank Yoba you're awake," Elliott cried out. His hair was messier than I'd ever seen it, and he had bags under his eyes from the stress and lack of sleep.

"What happened?" I asked. He sat at the edge of the bed to face me.

"You went quiet so suddenly, I was worried that something awful happened. I rushed up to the caves to look for you, and when I saw your limp body, I..." he trailed off. Tears welled up in his eyes and my heart sank.

"I'm so sorry, Elliott. I didn't mean to worry you," I said, sitting up leaning in to hug him.

"I'm just glad you're alright," he sighed, giving me a light squeeze.

Harvey came into the room a moment later, looking just as tired as Elliott. It occurred to me that Elliott must have come rushing to Harvey's door, waking him in the middle of the night.

"I'm really sorry to keep you up, Harvey," I said.

"Don't be ridiculous, ____," he shook his head. "You needed help, I'm the only doctor in town."

"Well, what do you think, doc? Am I going to live?" I asked. Harvey chuckled lightly.

"I think you'll be alright," he replied. "I would advise you to stay out of the mines for a while though. Just take it easy for the next few days, and please, be more careful. It's dangerous down there, especially when you're alone."

"Of course," I agreed, feeling a little embarrassed about the whole affair.

"You should go home and get some rest," he concluded. "Come see me tomorrow if you're still not feeling well."

"Thanks, Harvey," I waved as he turned to leave.

"Are you feeling up to the walk home, or do I have to carry you again?" Elliott teased. The thought of him carrying me home made me want to swoon, but he had already done more than enough for one night.

"I think I can manage," I said, sliding off the cot to stand on my feet. 

AN: Bit of a shorter chapter, but we can have a little heroic Elliott. As a treat. (Not me writing a whole new scenario to procrastinate writing the next big plot point, nope.)