Chapter 25

Mateo in the Media.

Mateo's POV

It's been a month and it still feels like I'm walking on egg shells with Skye. We haven't spoken for a month and I was frustrated. I admit I feel so miserable and worse part was I didn't even know what I did wrong. Yes, she caught me with Tolani but I didn't think she would take it this far, yet I feel like I've hurt her in a way.

But how?

Not being able to talk to Skye for a month and counting has been hell, I have to admit it. She was the only one that knew about me, the real me and she was the only one that understood what I was going through, majorly because it is only her I've told about my illness. She's the only one my stupidity didn't chase away and now, somehow I've ruined what we had.

Is that a new thing? You ruin everything, Mateo. You are destructive.

I shook my head, trying to think positive thoughts.

Thankfully, Elyon and I were already talking so I was able to ask her about Skye. I tried not to be forward. I just asked her randomly about Skye but Elyon being the smart girl that she was, she picked up on what I was doing and didn't make it very easy for me.

"Come on! Just tell me what she told you." I pleaded, following Elyon out of the staff room. She sighed and turned around.

"For the one millionth time Mateo, Skye didn't tell me anything. Even if she did, I won't tell you. It's basic girl code." She said and turned back to start walking again. I exhaled in frustration but followed her still.

"Elyon, you have to help me here. Skye hasn't spoken to me in a month and it's killing me even more that I don't know what I did. You know it, Skye definitely told you. I need you to tell me so that I can make amends." I told her, pleading desperately. Elyon stopped again and looked at me.

"If you actually want to make amends, then try to speak to her." She said and I scoffed.

"Don't you think I've tried. I've called her, messaged her. I've tried everything. She keeps ignoring me. She literally can't stand me." I lamented. Elyon looked up.

"When I said try speaking to her, I mean in person. Show her that you want to actually make amends. Phone calls and whatsapp messages don't go a long way this days. That's all I can say. Just pray it works." With that, she spurned and walked off and this time, I didn't follow her. I ran my hands through my hair and exhaled.

Ladies are complicated.

******

I stood outside the chemistry lab that was right beside the music studio. Ss2 science and technical students were having class there and definitely, Skye was going to be there. I looked at my watch for the fifth time and started counting down.

5... 4... 3... 2... 1.

Riiiinngggg...

The bell for change of period went and the science students began to troop out of the chemistry lab one after the other. Vanessa and Somadina walked out together and waved at me when they sighted me. I nodded and smiled at them as they walked past me. I prayed silently that Jamal won't come out before Skye or at the same time with her.

Like an answer to my prayer, Skye walked out of the lab alone and I was quick to grab her hand. She made to snap but I quickly dragged her into the music room and closed the door, locking it so that she won't have any means of escape. I placed the key in my pocket  and turned to her.

Now that looks like you are about to harm her or something. My subconscious chided me.

"What the hell is the meaning of this?" Skye's high pitched voice pierced through my thoughts and my ear drums,  I almost cringed. Thankfully, the room was sound proof which means no one can hear her shouting.