xiii. outdoor movies

Start from the beginning

Juliet managed to greet both Kiara and Pope without even looking at JJ or acknowledging he was there. After the girl had said hello to her friends, Kiara and Juliet had walked ahead of the boys to find somewhere to sit. Juliet suggested sitting near the front, knowing it was always better to sit there in case someone sat right in front of them and just happened to be six foot five or something stupid like that. What was the point of watching a movie if you couldn't even see the screen.

"I'm so glad they're still doing this. Keep calm, carry on. Back to OBX life, you know?" Kiara said as she walked beside Juliet. She was just happy they could all hang out together, minus John B, and be normal teenagers. "Aren't you glad I made you come?" She then asked Juliet, glancing at the blonde.

"Ecstatic." Juliet said, sarcasm evident in her voice. Pope stifled a laugh behind Juliet as she continued to walk. The tension in the air between JJ and Juliet was highly uncomfortable for them both and they really didn't know how they'd get through the evening.

When they set up their chairs and blankets. Kiara and Juliet offered to go get the boys a drink, knowing they didn't bring any for themselves. Kiara had brought her own and Juliet told Kiara she'd just share hers. She didn't want to be using the toilets that were available to them. Juliet wasn't a fan of public toilets.

"Hey, uh.....can I get two Pepsi's, please?" Kiara asked after her and Juliet had queued up at the drinks stand. Juliet dug some money out of her bag and handed it to the man before Kiara could give him any.

Before Kiara could say anything, a familiar voice spoke from behind them and Juliet felt a shiver run down her spine. "Hey, Jules. Kie. What's up?" They both turned to see Rafe standing beside them. "How are you?"

"We're fine." Kiara told him, focusing back on the man who was handing her the drinks.

"Good, good. Um....tell your boys that we know what they did." Rafe said, his eyes locking with Juliet's. She knew exactly what he was talking about.

"I don't know what you're talking about, Rafe." But Juliet had lied, taking the one of the Pepsi's from the Kiara's hands. She kept her cool, seeing if she could get away with lying to Rafe. Just because she caught him beating Pope, didn't mean she knew about the boat.

Luckily, it had worked. "They'll know." He told her, smirking slightly. Before Juliet could respond, Kiara was pulling Juliet away. "Bye." Rafe called after them, smiling to himself.

"Asshole." Juliet mumbled under her breath as her and Kiara walked back to their spot.

"What the hell was that about?" Kiara asked her as they walked in between people already sitting on the grass and on fold out chairs.

Juliet shrugged her shoulders. "I have no idea." She lied again. What Pope did wasn't something Juliet had the right to tell Kiara. As much as Juliet hated lying to her friend, she didn't want to tell her and risk Pope being irritated with her. Juliet and Kiara had then reached their spot on the grass and they both sat down on the blanket Kiara had brought with her.

Kiara then wasted no time in mentioning that they'd just seen Rafe. "We just saw Rafe, and he said, and I quote, 'Tell your boys we know what they did'. What is that?" Kiara asked the boys as she handed JJ the can of Pepsi, Juliet handing Pope his.

"Where is he?" JJ didn't answer Kiara's question, he just wanted to know where Rafe was. He knew then that they were in trouble. He should've known better than to think they could get away with sinking Topper's boat.

"Right there." Kiara turned around to point at Rafe , who was standing with Topper and Kelce. JJ and Pope had turned around to look at where they were, Pope probably looking a little too long.